Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

Beware: Frame is rusting out

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 AM
pgb
Default Beware: Frame is rusting out

Beware - I just learned my 2002 Hyundai 350XG has a serious safety problem - the frame is badly corroded, particularly the engine cradle, which actually has a hole in it.This car has fewer than 90,000 miles and it has been garaged its entire life. I'm the first owner and I had it serviced regularly by Hyundai until I got fed up late last year. I never would have known this problem existed except Iwas forced tohave it towed to an AAA Service Center becausethe power steering hose leaked - causing a failure of power steering. I was driving with my son at the time.The AAA technician said he was shocked to see the extent of the frame corrosion in a car of late vintage that was not involved in some kind of catastrophe (ex. Katrina). Previously, I had a problem with the engine mounts. I had to replacethe shocks at my expense, not to mention the brakes, battery, etc. etc. Oh, the power steering problem cost me $400. I doubt there were be many second-time buyers of Hyundai products and at some point, all the first time buyers will be gone and the cars on Hyundai's lots will rust out and blow away. .

pgb

Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Default RE: Beware: Frame is rusting out

i've never seen that before where do you live? but you said the car has been garaged kept. where on the frame is this rust? the car has a sub frame that the lower suspension bolts on that can be replace but i doubt it's rottened.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

HUGE Hyundai recall for rust and brake lights:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6251

Old 07-18-2020, 06:25 AM
Default Ordered New engine cradle.

Just ordered new engine cradle. Ordered all needed hardware for sub frame install, bolts, studs, bushings, etc...,to find that none of the hardware is available. Any opinions would be appreciated as far as what alternatives can be done?

Old 07-18-2020, 06:46 AM

You might have some luck with a salvage yard.
There are times when corrosive materials get trapped in certain uncoated areas and go to work destroying them from the inside out.
It appears if a vehicle is brought in from the cold wet environment with corrosive material and is placed in a nice "maybe heated" garage that speeds up the reaction and accelerated oxidation/rust is the result.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the response. I may just have to use the old bolts and studs and such for the new subframe. I just purchased this car with 140k for $740. Many things have already been done to it. I was mainly concerned with the timing belt. I was given receipts for all work done. The belt and water pump was done at 113k. I also have a 95 accent. Frame in excellent shape. Go figure.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 AM

If you need to replace the nuts and bolts
Then it may be a good idea to get familiar with the grading system
This will let you know if the bolt/nut you purchase can with stand the load or stress that will be put upon the bolt/nut
Remember it is a foreign car so mostly metric bolts and nuts

Old 07-18-2020, 10:41 AM

That I am. Fortunately I have a friend that has much experience with this kind of work. I recon we'll have to get it done one way or the other. If it wasn't for him i'd be screwed.