Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

p1193 code help!!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Default p1193 code help!!

Well to make a long story short, I was doing a tune up on my lady friends car and did everything text book and when I started it back up made this horrible banging sound. Took my stethoscope and did a compression check and found out it was coming from cyl. 1. Checked the plug, it was the right one, stuck the bore scope down it to see the piston pitted. End up taking head off to find a small washer was banging around in it. Bent a valve so had the head redone by the machine shop, put it all back together go to start it and it runs rough then dies and once it dies, shoots a P1193 code (limp home) and that’s it. I've been checking vacuum leaks and everything is plugged in. Seeing what is all on that circuit or what it entails to trip it because I haven't run a crossed it before.
Thanks a lot!
Shep

Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

From HMAService.com:

The ETSCM(Electronic Throttle System Control Module)is integrated with PCM(Powertrain Control Module). Therefore, Make sure that location of ETS Module is changed. The DTC P1193 is retrieved automatically when PCM detects a problem on the ETS. The Electronic Throttle System(ETS) consists of ETS-motor, Accelerator Position Sensor(APS),Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) and Limp home valve.
Among above-mentioned parts, Limp home valve is attached under the throttle body and helps air to flow from the outside through this valve to the engine combustion chamber to prevent the vehicle from engine stall when PCM detects ETS system malfunction.

Last edited by NovaResource; 05-30-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:19 PM

thanks for the response but another question.....when replacing the timing belt, where are the tick marks for the timing gears located on the rear head. pictured below this is what alldata told us...

is this true? marks on the gear are not aligned with the valve cover marks? bit confusing.....

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-05-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Picture deleted because it kept changing
Old 05-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned

Yeah, that's pretty weird, but they show the same diagram on hmaservice.com.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NovaResource
From HMAService.com:

The ETSCM(Electronic Throttle System Control Module)is integrated with PCM(Powertrain Control Module). Therefore, Make sure that location of ETS Module is changed. The DTC P1193 is retrieved automatically when PCM detects a problem on the ETS. The Electronic Throttle System(ETS) consists of ETS-motor, Accelerator Position Sensor(APS),Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) and Limp home valve.
Among above-mentioned parts, Limp home valve is attached under the throttle body and helps air to flow from the outside through this valve to the engine combustion chamber to prevent the vehicle from engine stall when PCM detects ETS system malfunction.

My little brother has an 01 XG300 w/ 65k on it. It's got the 1191, 1193 and a 0500 code. It'll start, but won't hold an idle, jumps up and down, then dies. It's gotten so bad it's not driveable anymore. I unplugged the MAF to see if it was something along those lines and to see if it would go into a default map mode, but it didn't help at all. I unplugged and replugged in the ETS and it completely flipped out....oddly enough, while idling and hitting the brake, you could hear the flapper on the throttle body opening and closing in rapid succession. It wouldn't let me give it any gas, fell on it's face, and wouldn't climb above like 2k rpms.

I'd like to purchase a new ETS since this is the second thread stating that the ETS is what is needed, but I'm not sure where online I can purchase this part...any recommendations? I usually use www.autohausaz.com for my BMW purchases, and while they list Hyundai stuff, I can't locate anything for this ETS. I'm visiting from Boise, so i'd like to try and get this part ordered and installed within two weeks if at all possble.

Thanks to all who can provide advice as to where to purchase and if this is the correct route to go.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

Update : So I unplugged the harness that is on the side of the throttle body again, tried to start it, and it dies instantly. I plugged it back in and got the same fluttering coming through the intake. I reset the codes, started the car and got it to run and idle somwhat. I kept giving it gas and kept it in the 3000-4000 range back and forth, hoping the ECU will relearn itself and let the car drive again. It worked to a point. It holds idle now, but it's still a little rough. I can drive it down the road, but anything more than like 25-50% throttle and the thing just bucks and stumbles. I wanna assume that it's the TPS since it's so picky about how much gas it's given, but then again it could be anything w/ those three sensors. Does anyone know how to test some of these sensors w/ an ohm meter or anything before I start throwing parts @ it?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by m5james
Does anyone know how to test some of these sensors w/ an ohm meter or anything before I start throwing parts @ it?
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5207

Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by schepebc
thanks for the response but another question.....when replacing the timing belt, where are the tick marks for the timing gears located on the rear head. pictured below this is what alldata told us...

is this true? marks on the gear are not aligned with the valve cover marks? bit confusing.....
FYI, everytime this thread loads, the image linked to alldata is different and so far unrelated to the thread topic.

Last edited by NovaResource; 06-05-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

I followed and replied on this link, but he's getting a completely different 1151 code. I'm on HMA service under XG(XG) >2001 > G 3.0 V6 DOHC > Fuel System > MFI Control System > Accelerator Sensor > DESCRIPTION AND INSPECTION and trying to do the testing using an ohm meter, but I can't get a single correct reading out of anything.

Also, where are people buying parts...other than the stealership?

Last edited by m5james; 06-04-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Per testing XG(XG) >2001 > G 3.0 V6 DOHC > Fuel System > MFI Control System > Throttle Position (TP) Sensor > DESCRIPTION AND INSPECTION - This is the harness inspection procedure, i'm still going down the list for inspecting the sensor itself.

Step 1 - says I should be getting a reading between 4.25 - 4.7, and i'm getting 5.05.
Step 2 - I don't understand. Am I just looking for a zero reading?
Step 3 - Same as above
Step 4 - Says I should get 4v, but I get absolutely nothing.

To be honest, I can read voltages, but I have no idea how to read resistance...is anyone willing to help? I'd rather go onto IM or make a phone call instead of waiting 5 minutes between replies.

Last edited by m5james; 06-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: p1193 code help!!