New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Hyundai family kinda story...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Default New to the Hyundai family kinda story...

So here's how my story goes: I grew up with Hondas. My mother was all about them. My father was all about American vehicles, so 9 years ago I tried to go my father's route and bought a 98 town car. It was fine until 4 years after the buy. I spent $6000 in all kinds of repair costs. So then I opted for an 02 durango and it was running good until the crank shaft broke. This after I spent almost $5000 in engine and front end work! Frustrated, I decided to go back with what I knew, but Honda is very proud of their vehicles and the affordability was way out of my range (including the Fit). So I started looking and found some pretty good deals on other subcompacts. Long story short I'm now a proud owner of a 2014 Hyundai Accent gls sedan premium package with 18,000 miles. To me it's a cute little vehicle and a bit reminiscent of some of the Hondas I grew up with. I'm wondering if this Hyundai will be as dependable as the Hondas I've been around (I commute 80 miles a day to and from work). This will be my primary vehicle and I was hoping to use this vehicle on a cross country road trip and not have to worry about something breaking. Any thoughts or experiences will be much appreciated. I do love this vehicle and hope I can enjoy it for many years to come.

Last edited by Banny; 11-15-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

If you take care of it, it will last. I have 105,000 on my 2006 Tucson and 135,000 on a 2006 Kia Spectra.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM

Banny:
Just like NovaResource told you: take care of it, meaning change the oil at the appropriate schedule, same for the transmission etc. There is a maintenance section in the owner's manual. Make yourself familiar with it.
The Honda Fit looks like a top-notch car. In terms of reliability the Accent is not far behind. This website does not have data for the '14 models but the other years have the Accent at average or better:
Accent vs. Fit Reliability

Great choice for a tough but inexpensive vehicle, Banny!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by allegretto
Banny:
Just like NovaResource told you: take care of it, meaning change the oil at the appropriate schedule, same for the transmission etc. There is a maintenance section in the owner's manual. Make yourself familiar with it.
The Honda Fit looks like a top-notch car. In terms of reliability the Accent is not far behind. This website does not have data for the '14 models but the other years have the Accent at average or better:
Accent vs. Fit Reliability

Great choice for a tough but inexpensive vehicle, Banny!
Thank you both NovaResource and allegretto for your respones. I indeed have the owner's manual and a maintenance check list that came with my vehicle. I am very determined to do all i can to make my little Accent last for years to come- even if it means committing the entire maintenance section to memory! I will be posting pictures soon as i am very thankful and proud to be in a vehicle that I can depend on and is a suprisingly comfortable and fun drive.

BTW allegretto the last sentence of your response gave me confidence in my choice of vehicle and confirmed what I felt the first time I test drove my Accent- Thank you!

Last edited by Banny; 11-16-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Banny
I'm wondering if this Hyundai will be as dependable as the Hondas
The Honda Fit is one of the most reliable cars on the road. Tho Hyundai is somewhat down the list of the best cars, our 2008 Accent made us a bit miffed because we had very little use of the 100,000 mile warranty! Hey, that's a good thing! Looks like our Accent is on its way to 200,000 miles. We then bought a 2013 red auto Elantra, now with 30,000 miles & no repairs.....running beautifully, average 39mpg, burning 100% ethanol-free gasoline. In the hands of another family member now, we then bought a 2016 red manual Elantra. With 10,000 miles, it also performs beautifully, averaging 39mpg(surprise!) with no repairs. Went to the ocean, with plenty of stops for pix, beach walking, travel in hills & a bit of I-5 stop&go traffic, but mostly heavy but steady travel.....46mpg(not by the trip computer).

Last edited by litesong; 12-04-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by litesong
The Honda Fit is one of the most reliable cars on the road. Tho Hyundai is somewhat down the list of the best cars, our 2008 Accent made us a bit miffed because we had very little use of the 100,000 mile warranty! Hey, that's a good thing! Looks like our Accent is on its way to 200,000 miles. We then bought a 2013 red auto Elantra, now with 30,000 miles & no repairs.....running beautifully, average 39mpg, burning 100% ethanol-free gasoline. In the hands of another family member now, we then bought a 2016 red manual Elantra. With 10,000 miles, it also performs beautifully, averaging 39mpg(surprise!) with no repairs.
Thank you for your response litesong. I was wondering if you kept the maintenance of your vehicles up religiously or not. I do plan to have my Accent on a strict schedule based on the manual.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:44 PM

Thank you for your response litesong. I was wondering if you kept the maintenance of your vehicles up religiously or not. I do plan to have my Accent on a strict schedule based on the manual.
My wife twists my arm to have the oil changed every 3000 miles(I try to let it slip a few hundred extra miles so she doesn't notice). Was thinking 5000miles was OK, but now thinking my wife knows better. Remember to keep your old maintenance parts. No way, windshield wiper blades are worn out after one or two years' use & any spark plug changes would still be good.

Last edited by litesong; 12-04-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:24 PM

I'm now a proud owner of a 2014 Hyundai Accent gls sedan premium package with 18,000 miles.
With the GDI high pressure system, ethanol may be contributing to carbonisation on valves. One help should be the use of 100% ethanol-free gasoline(E0). Check out pure-gas.org for over 10,350 E0 sources in the U.S. & Canada, with addresses, details & a cool zoomable map to the closest E0 sources to you.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by litesong
With the GDI high pressure system, ethanol may be contributing to carbonisation on valves. One help should be the use of 100% ethanol-free gasoline(E0). Check out pure-gas.org for over 10,350 E0 sources in the U.S. & Canada, with addresses, details & a cool zoomable map to the closest E0 sources to you.
I have been using detergent gasoline premium, so hopefully this will help engine longevity.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:56 AM

My first car was a Honda Civic but I have grown to love my Hyundai as much as I loved it because of its sheer reliability.

Quick Reply: New to the Hyundai family kinda story...