New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Should I buy a Tiburon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Default Should I buy a Tiburon?

Hello all,
I'm new to the Hyundai world. I've had a 2002 honda civic coupe for 3 years and it's time to get something new.
I have found a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7L V6 6-Speed Manual.
The car has 65k miles on it and they are asking $7995 for it. I might be able to talk them down to a lower price but that's not the point.
It seems like a nice car with decent power and gas mileage, and has all the perks and features I want and need.
The problem is, I have been reading reviews and it seems that a lot of people are complaining about electrical issues, and premature problems with the clutch on the manual version.
My question is, should I go with a Tiburon despite the sketchy problems I've heard about? Or should I start looking for something else?
I'm really interested in the car I was able to find, but after reading into user reviews on edmunds, etc. I'm a bit sketched out about getting a Hyundai, just looking for some advice.

P.S. The carfax is completely clean, but I noticed that the clutch had been replaced in 2006 with only 25k miles on the car.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM

The last thing I want is to buy the car and find out 6 months down the road I need a new clutch

Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Clutch problem on Tiburons were generally only with the 2003 model year and the actual number that had problem was much less than you would be made to believe. Plus, if it had problems, it would have gone out by now. People talking about clutch problems had then within a year of being new. So basically the clutch in the car now is no more a risk than any other 10 year old clutch with 65k miles from any other car.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Default nice post

It seems like a nice car with decent power and gas mileage, and has all the perks and features I want and need.
The problem is, I have been reading reviews and it seems that a lot of people are complaining about electrical issues, and premature problems with the clutch on the manual version.
My question is, should I go with a Tiburon despite the sketchy problems I've heard about? Or should I start looking for something else?
I'm really interested in the car I was able to find, but after reading into user reviews on edmunds, etc. I'm a bit sketched out about getting a Hyundai, just looking for some advice.