Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

NOX my Tucson ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Default NOX my Tucson ?

Hi guys,
I need some information. I have a 2009 Tucson with what I believe is a 140 HP 2.0 and it's pretty gutless. I looked at the Turbo options, and that is a lot of money, and with all the supporting hardward and sofeware I don't want to go that route.
I was just watching some videos and I stumbled across a nitrous oxide kit for a Hyundai Tucson. I thought that would be a much less expensive way to add HP to my little family truckster.
I understand that nitrous is only safe for a factory engine in small "bursts" at a time. I am only interrested in extra HP for getting on the highway from short on-ramps.
My question is should the internals of the engine be modified to stand the extra heat and extra power if I only expect to use it once or twice a day, for three to five seconds at a time, or could catastrophic engine failure occur with those small amount of times?
I would plan to use a single nozzle "dry system" for this application.
Has anyone here put nitrous on their ride?
If so, do you use it for the street, or for racing?
(I imagine if for racing, then your engine has been beefed up to handle the more frequent use of the NOX.)
Any and all comments are welcome.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Nitrous is technically illegal on the street. And dangerous. If your Tucson doesn't have enough power for you, buy a different car.

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-25-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 AM

I didn't know that it wasn't street legal, thanks.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by talisay
I didn't know that it wasn't street legal, thanks.
Its not like you are going to be spraying out in public or at traffic lights to show off. Alot of things are not "street legal"!! Do you think all the cars out there that have NOS take it off when they aren't using it?? I know of people with Geo Metros that can handle a 50 shot!! Ask a real shop to see the costs and what they can do.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:14 PM

If you are a novice and get caught,they most likely will warn you and you will need to remove it
If you have any kind of training and certification , the penalties can be pretty rough Fines there start at $10,000 a shot, not worth it.
That is why you need to be careful what techs and folks in the trade do.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:22 PM

I have yet to ever hear friends get "caught" with nitrous and get a ticket. I am in Florida and we used to race on the track and on the streets. The illegality of it is using it for other purposes. Like the use for inhalation is illegal unless it's used under professionals. You can it set up and not use it. Here is a page that I looked u . I can send the whole page but this is the legal part.Under United States federal law, possession of nitrous oxide is legal and is not subject to DEA purview. It is, however, regulated by the Food and Drug Administration under the Food Drug and Cosmetics Act. The prosecution is possible under its "misbranding" clauses, prohibiting the sale or distribution of nitrous oxide for the purpose of human consumption (the recreational drug use market). Given the necessity of proving the intent of either buyer or seller in this case, though, such prosecutions are rare.

Many states have laws regulating the possession, sale, and distribution of nitrous oxide; but these are normally limited to either banning distribution to minors, or to setting an upper limit for the amount of nitrous oxide that may be sold without a special license, rather than banning possession or distribution completely. In most jurisdictions, like at the federal level, sale or distribution for the purpose of human consumption is illegal. In California, for instance, inhalation of nitrous oxide "for the purpose of causing euphoria, or for the purpose of changing in any manner one’s mental processes," is a criminal offense under its criminal code (Cal. Pen. Code, Sec. 381b). In many other countries, this substance is legal. Small N2O cartridges, used to make whipped cream, can be legally purchased by anyone.

In all US jurisdictions, however, distribution, possession, and inhalation are legal when done under the supervision and direction of licensed medical professional such as a physician or dentist. Other countries like Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium also legalized it.