Other Hyundai Models This section is for any older European or American models that we may have excluded.

ix20 suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Unhappy ix20 suspension noise

I have the ix20 and have been back to garage 3 times with a 'banging noise' which comes whenever i go over a bump in the road, but only on one side? they thought it was shock absorber but after changing these its still there? Has anyone else had this problem its a brand new car and im not a happy driver

Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM

Hi there.

Yes, I have exactly the same problem on a '12' plater, just on the front nearside. Garage have replaced some strut parts but admit they haven't cured it. Despite telling me that Hyundai know about the problem but don't currently have a cure, they're having it back in for another look this week.

Having some technical knowledge I can't believe that it's incurable. There aren't that many bearing surfaces/joints within MacPherson strut front suspension but clearly it's got to be one of them! Note that the demo I drove was fine - having had a Getz with the same problem I was very careful to listen for anything similar.

Fine if you stick to motorways or other good roads, but it's a pity as it spoils an otherwise good drive.

Cheers - Peter.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 PM

It is very annoying and spoils the drive of the car...the garage have not been that helpful and basically have said that 'tech hyundai' have come back to them and said the noise is a 'characteristic' of the model!!!! well they never sold it to me with a noise !!!
If u ever get a result with yours let me know tks for ur reply
Debs

Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Have the checked they sway bar, bushings and end links?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Hi there,

The garage have had it back today for a couple of hours. I was able to spend some time with the mechanic both before and after, and - as far as I know - they ran with my suggestion of disconnecting the anti-roll bar (easy enough) and then seeing if the noise remained or went. They said it didn't make any difference, so that should rule out any anti-roll bar problems.

According to the mechanic, there are quite a few complaints on the Hyundai tech computer now, and apparently they all relate to 1.6 petrol automatics (like mine but I don't know what you have, Dabs?).

From reading the forums I'm not sure that's true, but if it is, the mechanic wondered if if might be an engine mounting or similar - something common only to the 1.6 auto. Possible, I suppose...

Ultimately though, it's not diagnosed or cured and I think we'll just have to wait for Hyundai to act. Or get rid...!

Interestingly, I was NOT told that the clonking was normal; they're not denying there is a problem.

Cheers - Peter.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Hi Peter, thanks for your update, i have the 1.4 style, so different model to yours! Do think the letter i got from my garage was a load of rubbish and just a way of fobbing me as i was threatening legal action! Very clever wording in the letter taking no responsiblity for the noise! I have given up with it all at moment as it just gets me worked up!! Do like the car just without the noise!!
If you get any further would be interesting tho!
Thanks Debs

Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Hi Peter, got your update re the ix20 and possible cure, i do still have the car and due service in february so will mention it to them, if they dont! Like u i have been thinking of getting rid of car so will see what happens in march!
Thanks Debs

Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Default Update

Hi Debs & others!

Latest is that the struts/parts are being shipped and I anticipate the job could be February. The Customer Services rep is being very diligent and I have every confidence that she's not BS-ing me!

Whether the new parts will cure the problem is another matter, of course, but one lives in hope!

Debs, are you the DebbyS who also posted on the IX20 section of this Hyundai forum? If so, I won't bother to find you on this thread if you want to just keep an eye on the other one!

Cheers - Peter.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM

Hi Pete, yes im the same one and thank you for your updates, my first service is due in february so will be interesting to see if the garage mention any of this! If they dont i will be and see what they say as they told me at the begining they had put the problem on this website but so far they havent been in touch with any updates.
Fingers crossed they do manage to sort it tho..will let u know
Thanks Debby

Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 AM

Hi Debby,

If you haven't been watching the other thread, I had the parts fitted last Friday and I'm sorry to say they haven't made any difference. Like when the damper & top mounting were replaced before, for a few miles it SEEMS quieter but soon gets back to it's clunky self.

Have you had the new parts? There's apparently only half a dozen sets in the country, so presumably only the biggest complainers will have had them.

Have emailed Hyundai CS to report back, but where do I go from here? Hopefully CS (and the dealer) have something to offer...

If you want to email me direct, I'm on vandps2@gmail.com. I'd certainly be very interested to know if the new parts cure yours, but assuming it's the same fault, I doubt they will.

Cheers - Peter.

Quick Reply: ix20 suspension noise