Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Alignment Issues - Hyundai Accent

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Default Alignment Issues - Hyundai Accent

About seven months ago, the left-hand front corner of my 2002 Hyundai Accent GL began to sag. I took my car to the local repair shop and was told that the car would need new front struts (one was weak and leaking) and a four-wheel alignment. I had the work completed and figured that would be the end of my troubles. Everything was fine.

Since, the car has been driven about 11,000 miles and four new tires installed. I have noticed that the two rear tires are wearing slightly unevenly on the outsides (its not an issue due to improper balancing, inflation or a bad rim according to the tire shop). Nothing appears to be bent or misaligned according to another mechanic I have taken the car to (they don't do alignments). Their advice was to replace the rear struts and go from there but they could not guarantee that was the problem.
So, I find myself here looking for advice as to what could be the cause of my rear alignment issues (new struts, coil springs, something else?).

Here is some information that may be of help from my last alignment:

Left Rear
:

Camber: +0.28 (before)…+0.15 (after)…-0.71 to –0.11 (factory specs) = Out of Specs
Toe
: +1.10 (before)…+0.36 (after)…+0.04 to +0.20 (factory specs) = Out of Specs

Rear Right
:

Camber
: -1.52 (before)…-1.54 (after)…-0.71 to –0.11 (factory specs) = Out of Specs
Toe
: -0.20 (before)…+0.10 (after)…+0.04 to +0.20 (factory specs) = Out of Specs

Rear Thrust Angle
: +0.65 (before)…+0.13 (after)

Your advice and recommendations are appreciated. Hopefully I can complete the majority of the necessary fixes myself saving myself some money.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM

I've come to the conclusion, on the advice of others, that installing a camber bolt kit is the best method for addressing my camber issues. Has anyone had experience with these kits? Single or double off-set bolts? Is one brand better than another? As always, thanks!