Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Looking for the right tire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Default Looking for the right tire?

Hey people check this out. I purchased my 2006 Sonata with Michilin Energy tires on it, that come to find out, only last "up to" 30,000 miles, no warranty, and they cost average $130 per tire.

Well, it came time to get tires on my car,I have 29,860 miles on the car, so I started to do some research. I found tires called SUMITOMO that have more tread wear, last 50,000 miles have a 1 year warranty, and get this, are only $57 per tire!!!

I have them on the car now, and they are awesome!! There is no noise from the tires, the car rides very smooth, and they handle very well. If you want to know more about what all I found out and or about the tires I now have on the car, just let me know.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Default RE: Looking for the right tire?

Hey people check this out. I purchased my 2006 Sonata with Michilin Energy tires on it, that come to find out, only last "up to" 30,000 miles, no warranty, and they cost average $130 per tire.
Not all "Michelin Energy" tires are the same. The original Michelin Energy tires on your car were not manufactured by Michelin, but by Hankook in China under license with Michelin. If you look at the actual model of tire, you will find it is not listed as a valid model on the Michelin web site. The $130 tire you priced is likely a bon-a-fide Michelin, that would be a very good wearing tire (90,000 mile rating I think). K-Mart and Sears do, or did only a few months ago, sell the Hankook made "Michelin Enegy" tire at a discounted price. Again, check for the exact model code because the tires will not say "Made by Hankook" on them. As you found by shopping around, there are cost effective alternatives.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM

Well, no matter what type or brand or make of Michilin they are those tires sucked! I will never have Michilin again. The one I have on my car now are geat. Very smooth ride compared to the ones I had when I got the car.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:46 PM

Well, no matter what type or brand or make of Michilin they are those tires sucked!
Exactly my point....

Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 PM

Gotcha! haha Have you ever heard of Sumitomo tires?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Gotcha! haha Have you ever heard of Sumitomo tires?
Yes, in fact, they are sold by the local dealer where I buy tires from along with Yokohama, Maxxim, Kumho, Bridgestone, and Cooper. What do I buy? Yokohama Geolanders for the truck, Coopers or Bridgestone for everything else.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Yeah I had cooper's once I liked those but I didn't find any good deals on those in my tire size. They seemed hard to find.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Some people swear by them but I haven't been a Michelin fan for years. I had my W8 Passat 1 week when I switched them out. My Sonata has 28K. The tires were rotated just before I got it 6 weeks ago so the 1/2 worn MXV4 S8's are on the rear and the "like new" ones are on the front. This morning was the first time I've driven it in the rain. As I always felt with Michelins, they suck in the rain. Anything more than breathing on the brake pedal and I'm in full ABS stopping. I have Yokohama ADVAN S-4s on order.
Bridgestone, Dunlop and Yokohama are the only tires I'll drive on. The W8 got Dunlop Sport MAXX and the Benz has Yokohama AVID H-4s on it to replace the Michelins that were on it when I bought it last year. Michelin & Pirelli = OVER-RATED & OVER-PRICED...

Old 11-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Banned

I bought Sumitomo HRH tires once for my old Toyota, but I thought they were garbage. They broke the belt within 20 k, were noisy, and didn't hold the road too well. I've had better luck with Kumhos. Last time I bought Kumho Ecsta Platinum, they seem pretty good, but the jury is still out. They weren't cheap.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM

It's funny to see this post...

Actually, I really like the performance of the Michelin tires for it could stand against wear and tear... Sumitomo is not the type of tires for me...