Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

tyre pressures??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Default tyre pressures??????

Hi,

I have just purchased a set of alloy wheels for my hyundai coupe se 2 litre, the only problem is that i was not told the tyre pressures for them,

The tyres are 205/40 ZR17 84w

if possible could someone please tell me where on the net i could find a tyre pressure chart so i can look it up or be able to tell me what the recomended pressure is????????????????

I would go to a garage but live out in the sticks so this is quite a battle as you can imagine lol, have tried phoning some of the local garages but have refused to give out the information for whatever reason, saying that they must see the car..

Please help as am due to go away which involves a long drive.

many thanks

suzy xx

Old 04-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Default RE: tyre pressures??????

Errrmm........doesnt most tires tell the max pressure on the tire itself?Also ive noticed on my Hyundai inside the glove compartment there is a sticker on the door that tells what tire pressure is recommended for different tire sizes.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:50 PM

the pressure chart can be located on the inside of the driver's door, check it out. From memory your pressure should be 32psi or 220kpa

Old 04-26-2006, 10:42 AM

Tire pressure is listed on the sidewall. You might have to look a little, but it will be there.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:59 AM

Well I got Nankang 235/45R17 Tyres with 17 X 7 inch BSA 264 Chrome rims...

I pump 44 for the rear tyres and 39 for the front tyres for better grip at the front. It's a test for now.... I'm experimenting on different tyre pressure settings.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM

its suppossed to be 30psi all around...it tells you on the inside of the drivers side door jamb

Old 01-08-2007, 01:33 AM

Always go by the drivers door chart. If you have lower profile tires they may require more air to strengthen the sidewalls so you don't bottom the wheels on bad roads (which gives a stiffer ride). Generally most passenger/touring and even winter tires require 30-32 (35max) PSI for generally driving duties. Tire sidewalls may list as high as 44psi, but do not generally require it unless maximum performance (or towing/hauling) is desired.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:15 PM

On my current job I am a tire tech... so pretty much know tire pressures for all cars.... ummm but in after market wheels, especially on anything lower than 205/45R17, 18.... well really the sidewall size (the "45" part) we always pump 35psi into them orany low profile tire to prevent any sidewall damage.... but all tire pressure really does is improve gas mileage and the obvious, allow you to drive

Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 PM

hey me again sounds like you have the same car as me , or maybe i bought it from you , as it blue???
ok i to have 17" alloys , trust me 30 psi all round.... i always put in 30 dunno why , guess im some kinda frak lol

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM

Tire pressures are calculated for the best operating performance and safety under normal driving conditions. This is the sticker on your car that tells you what pressure is required. The tire size, & vehicle weight are the basic components in the equation. A front heavy car will require a higher pressure in the front tires as in comparison to the back respectivly, to keep the tire footprint optimal. Some cars have their weight pretty evenly distributed, thus the same pressure front & rear. Just as a light car will require less pressure in comparison to a heavy car with the SAME size tire, to achieve tha best contact point. The tire has a proper foot print, and over inflating or under inflating them will have an effect on the tire as far as ride comfort, gas mileage, and safety. Too much air, and your tire's tread can lesson on the ground giving a smaller contact point. Too little air can cause tread cupping and very un supportive sidewalls, in an emergency situation, you swerve to avoid an accident, and the car reacts slowly, and very badly.

Once you put on aftermarket wheels and tires of different sizes, everything changes. There should be some way to be able to calculate the proper tire pressure for any application, as long as you can find out your vehicle weight, front & rear distributed weight, and applicable size tire. This would be a great tool to have!

Sorry to ramble!!

Quick Reply: tyre pressures??????