Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-5/)
-   -   2001 Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-5/2001-accent-559/)

linkinbabe21 11-04-2005 05:23 AM

2001 Accent

Hi there everyone. I am new here.
My check engine light came on about two months ago. Had it checked, said I needed a front O2 Sensor. I didn't have the money to fix it and I was told that I didn't need to fix it right away. Well, I just now have the money to fix it.
Anyway, I have noticed that when it was cold out, and I started driving, it was acting funny. I would drive about two blocks and even though I had my foot on the gas, it would feel like I was hitting the brake. It would slow, kindof like I was down shifting. I would take my foot off the gas for a second and continue driving. After about 10 minutes of driving it would be fine. But today, it was doing the same thing but longer. I was fine if I was on the interstate, but once I got off and I had to slow down or stop, it kindof jerk. But its really noticable.

A couple of weeks before I found out about the O2 sensor, the check engine light came on and I needed new spark plugs. It was driving the same way that it is now. Its weird because the engine light will come on for about a week, then off for a week. Now it is off.

Could my problems be happening because I need the O2 sensor? I am trying to get it fixed today(Friday or Sat.) I am just worried that I will fix that but something more serious will be wrong. Any ideas?

Brant 11-04-2005 11:13 AM

RE: 2001 Accent

The 02 sensor will cause those problems. A simple fix though, have it replaced. Tossing in new plugs and a simple air filter wouldn't hurt either. Then for good measure, throw in a bottle fuel treatment, (I use Marvel Mystery Oil...4oz per 10gal) and fill up with super.
Lets us know how you made out!!
Brant

poacher 11-04-2005 12:21 PM

Good suggestion Brant. I would tend to agree that the 02 sensor is a possibility.

linkinbabe21 11-04-2005 08:38 PM

I have an appt. on Monday morning to get the O2 sensor changed. I just put new plugs in a few months ago. A week after I did that, the engine light came on again. Thats when I found out I needed an O2 sensor. When you say fuel treatment, do you mean like a fuel injector cleaner or something else? I'll fill up with super after I get it fixed. I have just over a quarter tank right now so I should be able to make it last until monday morning. If I need to get gas before, can I mix the super with the ethanol?

Brant 11-06-2005 08:48 AM

A fuel injector cleaner will work.
Brant

poacher 11-06-2005 07:33 PM

Might I suggest STP injector cleaner. It works pretty well.

linkinbabe21 11-06-2005 08:36 PM

Thats sounds good. I have to a pretty empty tank to put that in don't I? I put it in when I fill up, right?

It's getting fixed in the morning. I just really hope it works and my car doesn't drive like it is now.
Thanks!

poacher 11-07-2005 02:25 AM

Glad things are working out for you. Your tank should be empty and them put the cleaner in and filler up.

Brant 11-07-2005 08:37 PM

Please don't forget to let us know how you made out.
Thanks,
Brant

linkinbabe21 11-10-2005 11:50 PM

Hi everyone. On Monday, i had the O2 sensor replaced. I told the mechanic the problems I was having. He said he would replace the part and take it for a drive. He took it for a 10 min. drive. He came back and said he thinks my transmission was going. Here's what it's doing.
When I start the car, no problems. When I shift into drive, no problems. When I drive down the road, no problems until I get between 20-30 mph. At this time, its struggling to get to 30. The rpms don't go past 3. It starts to jerk so I take my foot off the gas and it slows way down, jerks, and driving normal again, until I press the gas. It does this until I can get past 30 mhr. It is when I do in town driving, stop and go. I take the interstated to work. When I am taking the on ramp, it jerks. Once I get on the interstate, I have no problems getting from 30 to 65. I don't have any problems driving, until I have to get off the interstate and slow down. This problem has been going on just for a couple of weeks, it came out of no where.
So, in the past three months, I have had new sparks, plugs, and a front O2 sensor. The car is a 2001 Accent, 1.6, with just over 95,700 miles. I haven't had ANY problems except in the last three months. The other day, we looked at the transmission fluid, it was darker then it shoud be( I have never had it changed or anything.), and he did notice very small fragments. My boyfriends friend, who is certified in transmissions, took it for a drive. He was doing the shifting manually and was having no problems at all.
I also called Hyundai to find out about my warranty. I was lied to about it. I was told that I had the 10 yr/100,000. I don't because I was not the original driver. This makes me very mad because the only other person to drive it, was a hyundai person and it had not been "sold" to anyone but me. If we didn't get the new warranty, we would have bought a brand new one. That was the main reason we bought the Hyundai.

I did some researching. At least as much as i could do with my little knowledge of cars. I found some info about a pulse generetor or a transmission-fluid temp. sensor. Any ideas?? I am taking it to another place tomorrow for an ispection. I'd take any ideas anyone has to offer.