General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accent Remote starter issue.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Default Accent Remote starter issue.

I had posted this under Accent As well.

I have an AstroStart remote starter Series 1100 in my 2002 Accent (recently discovered it was 02 not an 01) Anyway the guy I got the car from told me it did not work and it had caused problemsthat had to get fixed at the Hyundai dealer.

I never asked what the problems were and never used the remote.
I decided one day to give it a try and replaced the batteries in the remote and turned on the remote starter switch, I hit the start button and it started the car.
But the starter would not disengage when the car was running.
It was like if you started the car and held the key in the start position.
I switched off the remote and do not use it.

I was recently looking a lose wire for my flickering dash light issue and found 2 wires routed through the firewall from the remote starter unit.

I checked under the hood and found them just sitting not attached to anything one with the wire exposed and the other cut and taped off.

Pulled down the remote unit to see what these wires were.
One (black and red wire) is the wire for the hood switch and is the taped off wire as there is no hood switch. (My 1995 Mitts Galant has a similar remote so I know what the hood switch looks like).

The other wire (green and black) is called a Tach Sensor wire. I assume it determines engine RPM after the engine has started andstops the starter.

My question is were wouldthe tach sensor wirebe attached as this Accent has distributerless ignition?
It looks like just the right length to make it to the fuse/Relay box on the driver side fender but not sure if that is were it went.

My Mitsubishi has a distributor and that is were this wire goes on that car.

Any Ideas?

Thank you

I would like to add I have been doing some research and I think all I need to do is find a Tach signal to get this remote operating again.
I have been reading that the Powertrain Control Module PCM would be the likely place to pick up the tach signal?
I do not know were this is located on a 02 Accent or were to attach the wire from the remote unit?
Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.