General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Auto Trans Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Default Auto Trans Fluid

I own a 2006 Matrix & Elantra 1.6 Auto. About 80,000 km on each. The Auto trans. fluid has a stinky smell (Not a burnt smell) it is also dark in color. I want to change the fluid but do not know what to replace the Hyundai spec fluid with, because they do not sell Hyundai lubricants, oils, fluids in Egypt. Please advice if it is a Dexron or Mercon or whatever. Thanks

Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Default RE: Auto Trans Fluid

The automatic tranmissions in your Hyundai vehicles use a fluid called SP-III, which is a proprietary ATF formulation developed by Mitsubishi in the early 1990's. I know your Elantra uses this type of fluid in the transmission. The Matrix isn't sold in the US, but since Hyundai now uses this type of fluid in almost all of their auto transmission, I surmise the Matrix uses it as well. Besides Hyundai, SP-III is used in Kia (a division of Hyundai) and Mitsubishi automobiles. You may have Kia and/or Mitsubishi sources available. Do not use Dextron or Mercon products. Those are not compatable and can lead to premature failure of the transmission if used. Same goes for "Universal" fluids, since most are intended as replacements for Dextron and Mercon types.

If you read various forums, there is speculation that Chysler ATF+3 (now ATF+4) formulation may be very similar to SP-III, if not SP-III itself. This is largely based on the fact that Mitsubishi designs and builds a fair number of the smaller models using their own components that are sold under Chrysler nameplates. Those cars come with ATF+3 or ATF+4 in their transmissions. Petroluem boards and associations do classify SP-III and ATF+3 as "Type 3" fluids. Again, this is speculation, there is no documented evidence I have found searching the Internet that says ATF+3 is the same formulation or even functionally equivalent to SP-III.

I hope this information helps.