General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Default Car won't start

Hi. I have purchased a Hyundai Elantra 2001 model - lovely car - except today it would not start. Didn't leave lights on or accessories or anything like that. Kept the clutch fully pressed on start attempt. Dash lights come on but engine makes no attempt to kick over.

Now, how do I tell if my car as an engine immobiliser as there are no lights that flash or anything that I can see (but there is mention of this in the user manual. User manual has more models) Mine is a 2001 GL sedan.

If I do have an immobiliser, what triggers this into action and what un-immobilisers the car??Eg.If a key that does not start the car is used x amount of times, will this cause the car not to start even if started okay in between this? The keys provided apparently include a key that won't start the car and this gets mixed up with the others from time to time.

I don't know if this is the issue ... but I can't think of anything else when it has been starting so beautifully with no tell signs of not wanting to work.

Hope you can help. Thanking you in advance.

Parrotblue.

Hello from Australia!!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Default RE: Car won't start

Well, I dont know anything about immobilizers, but I would have your alternator checked. I had one blow when I didnt leave anything on, and the car wouldnt even try to turn over...the little dash lights flickered, but no engine kick at all....this is all I can think of...
To check it yourself, take a reading of the voltage coming into and out of the battery when it is all connected and the car is turned off.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 PM

When you tried to start it, did the dash lights go out when you turned the key? Could be you have a bad battery. As Art... said could also be a fautly alternator. Have you checked your battery terminal? make sure that the positive lead (red) is free of any corrosion, and has direct contact with the battery lead.Also, make sure the battery cables are tight.... Could be something as simple as that. Seen it before... Good Luck, keep us updated.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM

if your car is equipped with keyless remote try hitting panic button and then shut it off.i have a 2005 santa fe and i wouldnt get any power to start it up i had it towed to hyundai dealer and they got the same thing. mechanic went out later and hit the keyless remote and it started right up evry time since it hasnt duplicated the failure after that thank goodness,seems there could be an intermittent problem with keyless remote next time try this see what happens

[/align]