General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine lighton in 2002 Hyundai XG 350L

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Default Check Engine lighton in 2002 Hyundai XG 350L

Hi,

I am Raj. I am new to this group. I am a proud owner of 2002 Hyundai XG 350L. I have been having this car for past 2years and never have faced any problems with the car. I really like the car and the amount of luxury features in the car.

For past 1 week I am having the check engine light on in my car. The car will drive fine in the evening timings but during the morning times (when the temperature is cold....) the car gets into the LIMP HOME mode (think so). It wont do more than 20mph.

I took it to my dealer and he read the diagnostic codes and he told me the codes were the following

P0227
P0442
P0446
P0227 (yes....this one appeared twice)

He told me that the following has to be replaced.

1. Fuel Pressure Sensor
2. Throttle/Pedal position Sensor
3. Cannister

Even after replacing the above mentioned with the new parts...the check engine light is still on. The dealer is now looking upon the Hyundai TechLine for more help.

Did any of you had a similar problem or what should be the real problem and how it has to be rectified. I am not a mechanic...so really dont know much about the cars.

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Raj

Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Check Engine lighton in 2002 Hyundai XG 350L

First of all, I would not replace the fuel pump in that there is no indication that it is involved. The fuel filter should be replaced as a matter of routine maintenence, and if you do not know when it was replaced last doing so would not hurt a thing. I do not think a plugged fuel filter would manifest the temperature sensitive problem you are having.

I took it to my dealer and he read the diagnostic codes and he told me the codes were the following

P0227
P0442
P0446
P0227 - Throttle position (TP) sensor C/accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor C – low input Wiring short to ground.

P0442 - Evaporative emission (EVAP) system – small leak detected Hose connection(s), intake leak, EVAP canister, EVAP canister purge valve

P0446 - Evaporative emission (EVAP) system, vent control – circuit malfunction Wiring, EVAP canister purge valve, ECM

He told me that the following has to be replaced.

1. Fuel Pressure Sensor
2. Throttle/Pedal position Sensor
3. Cannister
I am not sure why any of these parts were replaced, especially the fuel pressure sensor. The P0227 issue with the throttle position sensor indicates a wiring problem, likely a loose connector but could also be a broken wire. These can be very temperature sensitive. The mechanic needs to investigate the TPS harness connector and wiring with a multimeter to sort this out.

The two codes associated with the EVAP system can be more complicated. I personally think the primary problem is with a malfunctioning EVAP purge valve (P0446) that is resulting in the leak tripping the P0442 code. IF both codes are still being generated, then replacing the cannister may not have been necessary unless the mileage on the car indicated it was time to do so.

Even after replacing the above mentioned with the new parts...the check engine light is still on. The dealer is now looking upon the Hyundai TechLine for more help.
It may be that the mechanic involved did not clear the error codes in the ECM after the repairs were made. If the codes were in fact cleared, then the ECM should have been scanned again to see if these codes returned or new ones were generated. I'd visit with the service manager again. Also, you do not say if the "limp home" problem was otherwise solved.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:22 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My car has got 83k miles on it. I have using this car from 55k miles. I havent changed the fuel filter in the past 2years of my ownership. The car is due past its extended warranty, so any repairs done by the dealer is not covered by warranty.

I am not sure whether they cleaned up the codes after replacing the new sensor/cannister. I am going to the dealer showroom this coming monday to check on the status.

I will ask him about the TPS connector and the wiring stuff. I am not sure why the car became temperature sensitive. All this happen on one morning while I was driving to office. It was a cold morning and I started to move my car even when the engine temperature was bit cold (as per the temperature gauge). I stopped in a stop light and then when I tried to accelerate the car....it completly stalled and then immdly the CHECK engine light came on.

I didnt took the car to office that day morning and when I came home that evening and I started the car it was running fine. The same happened the next day also which is when I took the car to the dealer.

Let me know if I have to ask something specific to checked in my car with the dealer.Thanks for the replies.

I will keep you guys posted about the happenings.

- Raj

Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Also, you do not say if the "limp home" problem was otherwise solved.
So, how has the car run since the work was performed?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 PM

I havent got a chance to ride my car since the service was performed. The dealer has my car since last wednesday. He keeps saying that the check engine light is on and he is working with the Hyundai techline to resolve the issue. As I told in my earlier post I will be meeting the service manager this coming monday and will drive the car that time and will update you guys about the 'limp home' problem.

- Raj

Old 10-06-2008, 05:37 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies and your help. I jus got my car back from the dealer and the problem seems to be the faulty sensor and later followed by the faulty wiring by the mechanic. I drove the car from the dealer showroom and it was driving fine. Except that I can feel some difference while braking....not sure whether its coz of the new sensors...

I will check tomorow morning during my drive to office and will update you guys with more details.

Once again Thanks for your help.

- Raj