General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ignition timing - noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Banned
Default ignition timing - noob questions

so long story short i'm coming from an 18 year old toyota where a timing light was needed to adjust the ignition timing every now and then to a '04 accent with the 1.6L engine. is the ignition timing all ecu controlled? should i just sell my timing light or what?

took a look at some online manuals, but hardly anything on electrical/engine control which leads me to believe that this is all computerized.

if it is big change from my old car. damn thing had 4 computers in it! engine (pretty large too), cruise, ABS and transmission.

thanks for the help.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Default RE: ignition timing - noob questions

so long story short i'm coming from an 18 year old toyota where a timing light was needed to adjust the ignition timing every now and then to a '04 accent with the 1.6L engine. is the ignition timing all ecu controlled?
Yes, it is. Full OBDC-II system with diagnostics. Nothing goes in or leaves the engine that isn't monitor by a host of sensors. If you do your own repairs, consider buying a OBDC-II code scanner. A farily good one will only set you back $100 to 150.

should i just sell my timing light or what?
I still have mine and while I don't use it as much as I once did, it does come in handy. I have one OBDC-I car that I do occassional retime, but I mostly use it to diagnose other ignition problems. The induction lead is damn handy for tracking a bad coil pack or ignition lead or simply knowing if spark is present. Yes, I know there are other ways to do those things but having the light does it quicker. Hang onto it, you will use it again someday.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Banned
Default RE: ignition timing - noob questions

great, thanks! i'll be looking into some sort of code scanner/cheap diagnostics computer....yay