General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Elantra battery removal

Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Ideally all you have to do is loosen the center nut... You managed to take yours off.

Use a flat screwdriver to lift the outer "hat" up and hopefully the inner fingers will release..

May want to consider replacing the clap, and dont tighten it real tight, just snug it good...

I'll run and see what the number and cost is for replacement clamp....

Stand by -- all I come up with is the complete cable..
that's all I come up with. Any new thoughts?

Old 11-01-2016, 05:55 PM

I know this sounds a bit extreme, but I did not live near any place to buy the replacement clamp for the positive terminal.

My terminal was completely seized no matter I did to it.

If your battery is nearly or already dead, use a hack saw just under the terminal cap to cut through the led terminal. Once the terminal has been cut off completely, remove the battery. Now you are left with a piece of the led terminal stuck in the terminal cap.

To remove the led terminal, leave it submerged in baking soda and water for a very very long time. The faster solution is to just take a propane torch to it. The led terminal will melt out easily and leave the terminal block fully intact.

Hope that helps.