General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Unhappy Engine won't shut off

I love my new 2011 Sonata! But there is one problem that's a real head scratcher. After my car sits in the hot sun for a few hours and I start it and drive it home, the engine won't turn off with the ignition switch. Everything else turns off, like the electronics, the dash lighting etc. but the engine keeps on running. I can even drive it under this condition. Eventually the engine shuts itself off and it's back to normal. But this means that sometimes I need to babysit the car until it the engine decides to shut itself off - like at a restaurant or any other public place.

Luckily, I was able to show the service department this phenomenon but without resuolution as of yet - and they want me to bring it in again when the problem is ocurring which is highly unpredictable.

Any thoughts as to a solution???

Mike

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Make sure you have your dealer run your vin # for any open campaigns. Some vehicles had an issue similar to where accesories stayed on all time and adjustment of shifter was the fix campaign number TB1. Again this may not be your problem but I would at least make sure this has been checked.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Cool Shifter check

Thanks for your reply Hyundai Tech person. The dealer has checked the shifter. My car appears to be outside of the problem manufacturing date window but they plan to replace the shifter anyway.

We'll see . . .

Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Unhappy Shifter replaced, problem continues

There must be a heat sensitive electronic element in the path to shutting off the engine. The engine actually turns itself off when it gets around to it. This suggests some kind of cooling condition that allows the engine to shut off.

Problem still undiagnosed.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Help me here. So when you put vehicle in park and push the button for turn off ...it just continues to run? Are the dash lights on cluster still on? Any info shown in cluster display.... like (put in park) . Just tryin to see what conditions are.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Red face reply to Hyundai tech

The electronics actually do turn off but the engine continues to run and the car can be driven this way. I can turn the electronics back on again by stepping on the brake and pressing the ignition button - and then turn them off again by doing the same and the engine continues to run the whole time.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Default reply to Hyundai tech

And then after running on its own at some point, the engine will actually turn off on its own as well - without anyone doing anything - it just stops.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 AM

If you want to contact me for further info, just let me know.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 AM
Default I have same issue did you ever figure out what was wrong?

Just wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was? Was also wondering if you had remote start in yours?

Last edited by Plschultz1; 08-18-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Problem solved: so on top of my positive cable to my battery there is a main fuse. This fuse ended up being bad. When the fuse got replaced all my problems stopped.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:41 AM

I was wondering if you had a car starter installed because I’m having the same issue and I was thinking if it was the car itself or if I need to remove the automatic car starter

Quick Reply: Engine won't shut off