General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ESC, ABS, *and* AWD lights on

Old 04-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Default ESC, ABS, *and* AWD lights on

Hi there,

So I was in to my mechanic's on Friday to get an oil change and switch to summer tires (on separate rims) on my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe. No issues on the way home. Yesterday, I drive for a bit, park for about 15-20 minutes. I start it, start driving and notice that the ESC warning light is on, the ABS warning light is on, and the AWD system warning light is flashing Seems this is not an entirely uncommon problem but I haven't many reports back of what fixed it.

One thing to note: of the tires put back on on Friday, 3 are quite worn and 1 is virtually new (had an accident last fall, got a replacement wheel/tire in the process). Will be in contact with my mechanic tomorrow but has anyone had the same experience? Is it possible that the different tread depths on the tires could throw things off that much? Just hoping that the resolution is not too expensive, this thing is now starting to cost money on a regular basis....

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited by wolfspark; 04-22-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Missed details
Old 09-30-2019, 02:12 PM

Hi Wolfpark,

Have you found what was the issue? I am having the same issue. The ESC light came on several times (and sometimes the check engine and AWD light along with it) in the past for me but whenever I restarted the car it went off. This time ESC light came on and now the check engine light but ESC light is gone and not the check engine light.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:17 PM

Hi there. Yes, the issue turned out to be that the ABS sensor on one wheel had stopped functioning. Once that was replaced, all was well again. Your issue may be a bit different as all three (ESC, ABS, and AWD) always came on together for me. Best of luck in resolving your issue!

Old 09-30-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by wolfspark
Hi there. Yes, the issue turned out to be that the ABS sensor on one wheel had stopped functioning. Once that was replaced, all was well again. Your issue may be a bit different as all three (ESC, ABS, and AWD) always came on together for me. Best of luck in resolving your issue!
Thanks for a quick reply... did you repair it by yourself or had to take out to mechanic? I am handy with the car but not sure how much work is needed. Also how much it costed you to fix?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:04 AM

No, definitely did not repair it myself - far beyond my skill and comfort levels My local mechanic fixed it; don't recall how much it was unfortunately.