General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! I ALMOST KILLED SOMEONE WALKING LAST NIGHT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Default HELP! I ALMOST KILLED SOMEONE WALKING LAST NIGHT!

I NEED YOUR HELP...I OWN A 2007 HYUNDAI TUCSAN. THE PAST YEAR MY NEW SUV HAS BEEN FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON TO ME BEEN BLOWING OUT MY LOW BEAMS HEADLIGHTS. JUST 3 MONTHS AGO, I HAD ONE OF THE LAMPS REPLACED.

LAST NIGHT AS THIS IS ALWAYS A SAFETY ISSUE FOR MYSELF AS I LIVE IN THE COUNTRY ON DARK COUNTRY ROADS. WELL LAST NIGHT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD, A WOMAN AND HER CHILD WAS SPARED THEIR LIVES. WITH THE RIGHT LAMP OUT, I NEVER SEEN ANYONE WALKING ALONG THE ROAD AND ALMOST KILLED THESE PEOPLE. WHEN I SWERVED AS I SEEN A GLIMPS OF A YELLOW COAT, I WAS SHAKIN AND BROUGHT MY CAR TO A STOP. IT WAS THEN THAT I LEARNED THAT MY RIGHT LAMP WAS OUT AGAIN!!! MANY THOUGHTS OF ANGER FLOODED MY BRAIN. WHAT AND WHY IS MY CAR HEADLAMPS BLOWING OUT. I HAVE RULED IT OUT A BAD LAMP, NOT 3 IN A ROW....THEY ALL CAN'T BE JUNK

RIGHT NOW I AM SOOOO PISSED AT HYUNDAI FOR NOT FIXING THIS ISSUE WHEN I FIRST BROUGHT THIS CAR IN TO GET A NEW LAMP ON A BRAND NEW CAR. TODAY I HAVE 26,000 MILES ON MY CAR AND I'M FACING THE 3 RD LAMP IN LESS THAN A YEAR!!!

AND I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT OTHER HYUNDAI'S HAVING THIS SAME ISSUE OF FAULT.
I AM STAYING HOME UNTIL I GET AN APPOITMENT TO TAKE THIS CAR IN TO THE DEALER. SAFETY IS A REAL CONCERN HERE FOR ALL INVOLVED ON THE HIGHWAY.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG AND HOW CAN IT BE FIXED? OR DO I JUST TRADE IN THIS CAR AND GET A DIFFERENT CAR MANUFACTURE ALL TOGETHER? I AM NOT GOING TO DEAL WITH THIS ISSUE ON A ON GOING BASIS, RIGHT NOW IT'S UNDER WARRENTY.

WHEN I DID MY HOMEWORK ON THIS HYUNDAI, I NEVER SEEN OR READ ABOUT THIS DANGEROUS FAULT ISSUE. I WOULD HAVE STAYED FAR CLEAR OF THIS MAKE.

I REALLY LOVE MY CAR AND REALLY DON'T WANT TO GET RID OF IT HOWEVER I AM NOT GOING TO DEAL WITH THIS EXPENSE NOR ENDANGER MY LIFE AND FREEDOM BY SITTING IN PRISON FOR KILLING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING DUE TO ON GOING FAULTLY HEADLAMPS. CHANGING THE BULBS AND SENDING ME ON MY WAY IS NOT GOING TO JIVE THIS TIME!

ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED PLEASE GIVE YOUR KNOWLEDGE....THANK YOU IN ADVANCE ~ CHROME

Old 12-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned
Default RE: HELP! I ALMOST KILLED SOMEONE WALKING LAST NIGHT!

ok first turn the caps lock off. many people will get ticked off at you and probably wont take you seriously because ITS AS IF YOU'RE YELLING AT THEM

secondly, i hate to be a jerk here but what were you doing out in the dark with a dead headlight to begin with?? not only did you put your own safety at risk but the safety of others around you. the only one responsible for that near miss is you. it is your responsibility to check these items especially if you know they are faulty. i am quite meticulous with my cars and the result is i know about problems and i am almost always able to address them before it becomes something major.

thirdly you have a warranty - use it! if the dealer is not taking care of the problem speak with another dealer or start talking to hyundai and get them to put some pressure on the dealer. also consider lodging a complaint with the BBB as that will usually wake them up a bit. the only thing that really blows the lights like that is bad grounding or improper installation. the bulb glass should never be touched with bare hands as the oils on your skin can cause them to litterily shatter under the high heat produced by headlight bulbs.

i'd make it very clear to the dealer that this must be investigated thruoughly for safety reasons and that it could cause a major accident - they'll listen up at that. i'd also be very firm on you want to know exactly what the problem was and how the fixed it - then check to see if they really did what they claimed they did just in case. no point in taking any chances with something like this.

best of luck.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 AM

thanks for your response zero_gravity. I normally do check my lights however not every single time i get in the car. I am a very busy person and on the go with other issues on my mind and it's not like I am condictioned to remember this from all my other cars and yrs of driving. Plus I would have never thought after changing 2 bulbs that it would happen again...Fix the bulb move on....

Secondly I want to make it clear or not **** any one off by my caps being on. I tend to use them allot even though most say that i am yelling at them. I am not. I have been working with & on computersfor 18 yrs and I know the rules of caps. I personally hand write in all caps everyday. I do not write I print in CAPS.
So you see it is really my hand writing plus I find it is easier to read. So I am not yelling at none it is mearly my preference of signature.

I am grateful for your advice and I will definety take it to the bank Monday morning.
Thank You Again

I also would like to add that I stood there and watched the tech disassemble the headlamp housing add the bulb, he told me not to touch it plus I already have that knowledge from working on my harley Roadking, so it was nothing new to myself. He handled it with care as I watched and reassembled it back together. So which brings me to the conclusion that it is the wiring faulty or a bad socket or bad ground faulty. I have never known of a brand new car blowing bulbs in my 52 yrs, hell some never blow them after 10 yrs old, so again it must be one of the three above unless someone knows the real answer and hasn't come forward yet.

I will defintely be there when whom ever works on my car I am not one to sit and wait in the waiting room or leave until it is done. I wrench on my bike wish I knew how to wrench on this new car.

Chrome

Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 PM

The high and low beams are controlled by seperate relays. Has the low beam control relay been investigated (actually replaced)?

AND I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT OTHER HYUNDAI'S HAVING THIS SAME ISSUE OF FAULT.
No one has reported this issue to the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration. This is a serious safety issue. I would do so if it were my vehicle and I knew of other occurances.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 PM

First off do you happen to have an aftermarket electrical systems wired into you vehicle. As for light bulbs burning out as frequently as yours are can be caused by a number of things. There could be a bad ground, or possible voltage back feed on the wires to the headlight assembly causing the bulbs to burn out. I would recommend taking it to a different dealership and expressing your concern of the lighting system and if that fails call Hyundai directly. I've found that after speaking with Hyundai your car becomes a hot item if you talk to the right people.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Let me guess. They were wearing dark clothing and walking on the wrong side of the road.
People need to walk toward cars NOT on the same side.

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Default Try using phillips bulbs

I used to have a similar problem with my Kia Sorento. I frequently was having to change out my headlights and was using Sylvania brand bulbs that I purchased at AutoZone or Walmart . Then one day I was at Kmart and noticed they had Philips brand headlights on sale so I purchased a couple boxes of those and have never had a problem since . I think they just build the bulbs better. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by NovaResource; 08-07-2017 at 06:45 AM.