General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hyundai i30 cuts out

Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Default Hyundai i30 cuts out

Hi I am at an end and was hoping to get some help. I have a i30 petrol. The vehicle start and runs perfectly. Whilst driving at slow speed town driving) it will suddenly cut out under my foot. No throttle but all the ignition consumables still work. The car will then immediately start up. Behave then perfectly for a few kilometers until it does the same. Diagnostics shows no error codes. Crank position sensor was replaced. Main relay was replaced. Idle Control Valve was replaced as well. The car will handle long distance driving with no problems. Only town driving brings this problem.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by ezauto
Hi I am at an end and was hoping to get some help. I have a i30 petrol. The vehicle start and runs perfectly. Whilst driving at slow speed town driving) it will suddenly cut out under my foot. No throttle but all the ignition consumables still work. The car will then immediately start up. Behave then perfectly for a few kilometers until it does the same. Diagnostics shows no error codes. Crank position sensor was replaced. Main relay was replaced. Idle Control Valve was replaced as well. The car will handle long distance driving with no problems. Only town driving brings this problem.
Any help will be appreciated.

did you get this sorted out or got reply from other peers? I am having similar issue with my hyundia i30 diesel.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:00 PM

A good possibility time to check/change fuel filter if it has not already been done.
Any visable smoke from exhaust when problem occurs?
As you are probably aware not all problems will throw an error or malfunction code.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
A good possibility time to check/change fuel filter if it has not already been done.
Any visable smoke from exhaust when problem occurs?
As you are probably aware not all problems will throw an error or malfunction code.
no smoke at all. Its just cut off and starts again without any issues. Radio keeps playing though when it cuts off.

Not sure how many parts needs to be changed if it cannot pin point to the issues directly.

Old 12-08-2022, 04:52 PM

Does anyone know how to sort this problem out?

Old 12-08-2022, 07:27 PM

It would help if we knew one way or another if your vehicle is gasoline or diesel powered.

Old 12-09-2022, 05:32 AM

It would help if we knew one way or another if your vehicle is gasoline or diesel powered.
its petrol

Old 12-09-2022, 09:58 AM

For a petrol/gasoline engine to run requires,
Fuel, Air , spark and right time and place for spark.

Need a description of the problem with your particular vehicle.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:33 AM

For a petrol/gasoline engine to run requires,
Fuel, Air , spark and right time and place for spark.

Need a description of the problem with your particular vehicle.

This is the exact same problem I have right now

Old 12-09-2022, 01:35 PM

Thank You for the information.

When it shuts down on you,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Does it stop fast or does it provide a few seconds before it finally shuts off ?

Here is why I ask,,, if it shuts off quick just like if you were to turn off the ignition, then we most likely would have an ignition system problem.
If on the other hand , it loses power , lets you know it is going to quit, but the engine slows down and dies, would indicate a fuel supply problem.

Give this a little thought and review the symptoms carefully.
When you turn the key off , the computer resets when you turn the key back on. What ever is causing it to stop gets reset until the problem shows itself again.

One way to MAYBE get a code to provide some direction, the key cannot be turned off and allow the computer to reset. What the shop needs to do is hook up a scan tool that provides "Freeze Frame " info. What this does is provides the data at the time the engine shut down and a code may be set or the technician can see what data is incorrect and caused the problem.. Of course if the key is shut off that info gets erased and no codes are displayed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai i30 cuts out