General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Santa Fe - Groaning when first turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Default Santa Fe - Groaning when first turning wheel

We just purchased a used 2005 Santa Fe - 2.7L engine w/19k on it - and we're LOVIN' it!
The only thing we've noticed is when we first start out (most of the time) and turn the wheel (from a stopped position), there is a groan (kind of like a rubbing sound) from underneath.

It's at the dealership today, BUT they're telling me they have another '05 on the lot doing the SAME THING and they're trying to tell me it's "normal" b/c of this.
Is this noise normal?????????? Don't want to doubt the dealership, but I also don't want a bigger headache down the road b/c they gave me faulty information.

It seems to only do it when we first start out from a stop - even after the vehicle has warmed up. It's also the AWD model if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, we absolutely LOVE this vehicle!!!!!!!!! Hubby loves it so much, he's thinking of getting one too!

Thank you for reading my post,
Nicole

Old 10-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Default RE: Santa Fe - Groaning when first turning wheel

It's an AWD, so jacking it up would not be a good idea. The rubbing sound could be a result of belt seperation in the tires. As with my friend's case, the rubbing sound disappeared when he lubed the rubber boot in the fire wall to w/c the steering shaft goes through.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Default RE: Santa Fe - Groaning when first turning wheel

UPDATE:

Dealership said they had other 2005's on the lot that do the same thing - although they did NOT offer to allow me to drive one or more as "proof" and I'm skeptical of this answer b/c we had another vehicle we traded in on this Santa Fe (different make/model/year) and we had taken it in for warranty work and that was their answer on that vehicle as well - they had an identical vehicle on the lot and it was doing the same thing. So I'm more than a little unsatisfied w/the answer they're giving me at this point.

It's not just when the engine is cold - it does it when we stop in a store and come out - it groans when we leave the parking space. It also does it even if we warm the vehicle up in the morning to remove ice from the windshield. Maybe it is "normal", but I'm still nervous about this noise.