Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis - Page 15 - Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:03 PM

Default Inside the canister

I looked at the one I have, and at photos of another one that I has cut apart maybe 2 years ago. I'll call the end with the connections the top. There is a pipe from the purge connector to the charcoal. If you want to avoid cutting that, cut about 2 inches below the top where the 2 hose connections are. You could cut the bottom where it is sealed. I looked at the top and bottom and there are separator plates. The bottom one has several holes drilled in it, and the top has fewer large ones. The foam separators are on these plates, facing towards the charcoal granules. My guess is that this foam is plugged or melted. Some people have removed the foam and replaced it with brass or stainless steel screen. When you cut it open, you will want to have it over something to catch the charcoal. A good epoxy should work well to assemble it. I don't think that you need to cut the top in half like I did.

Cut about 1" lower than I did.

The bottom separator with some of the foam on it.

Top separator, had foam on it. Pipe on left is below the purge hose connection on the outside. It has a piece of fabric in it

Last edited by GaryL; 01-12-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:13 AM

I would keep an eye on the air filter tube that in in the middle of the gas neck hose to the carbon filter. I have found it holds very fine carbon dust. Take it out, tap it, blow it out to hell and back, and it still can be a part that is shot, over the hill. It can bottleneck the air to and from the charcoal canister. So if the gas is spitting back out, try taking the air tube filter out and bypassing it with a small piece of copper pipe to test if gas now enters the tank freely or not. And if you do have charcoal bits in the line, then yes...the charcoal canister has to come out and be replaced or cut open and fixed. Just the charcoal canister, new, and the air tube filter, new, are retail close to $800. Some sites sell cheaper. So the up front legwork and experimentation and fixing of existing parts=savings. This fuel thing is a regular occurence every 30-40,000 mph or 48,000 k to 63,000 k. So getting a handle on all this is a money saver. Also, thanks to all who posted before and helped me help myself with this fuel problem.