General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TPMS sensors - do I really need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Default TPMS sensors - do I really need?

I am going to buy 4 new tires for my 2007 Hyundai Tuscon. I have tpms senors. if my tire dealer says I need a new sensor on one or more of my tires how do I know i really need it? How do I know they are not ripping me off? Do I have to buy a new sensors? Can I leave them off or not replace bad ones? Does it do anything to my other functions of the car?

Please help. I know they are about $70 each. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

If the sensors work, there is no need to replace them just because you are changing tires. And if they don't work after the change then the installer is at fault for damaging the sensors.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Talking

I am going to buy 4 new tires for my 2007 Hyundai Tuscon. I have tpms senors. if my tire dealer says I need a new sensor on one or more of my tires how do I know i really need it? How do I know they are not ripping me off? Do I have to buy a new sensors? Can I leave them off or not replace bad ones? Does it do anything to my other functions of the car?

I bought 4 new rims and tires for winter. They installed new units and set them up for $20.00 each. This was last fall and they have worked fine.I bought the tires, rims and tns at Town Fair Tire which is a chain in New England. The $70 quote you got is a rip off. These were on a 2012 Sonata. I bought a 2012 Azera and have gone back to the same place to get new rims , winter tires and tms units. The price quoted was the same. ps: had no problems with the $20 ones.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM

If you think your tire dealer is ripping you off, Its time to find a new dealer. There are so many honest ones out there.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Lightbulb And Here Is The Correct Answer Member

Originally Posted by jordi

Are those TPMS sensors really necessary.? YES!
Some will say that these systems are a waste of money, argueing that if people would simply just check their tire pressure on a regular basis, there would be no need for an on board monitoring system. But , their in lies the rub. Most people don't and wont bother checking their tire pressure's, at least not as often as you should.
This can be debated till dooms day comes along, but the reality has been Federally mandated, so we don't have a choice. Theyre here to stay, and we just need to deal with them.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  

Last edited by WheelBroker1; 09-13-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM

By the way Jordi..Check this out for your information...

ORO-TEK TPMS Sensors - TPMS Reset Procedure: Hyundai Model: Tucson SubModel: SE Year: 2007

Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 AM

If the sensors work, there is no need to replace them just because you are changing tires. And if they don't work after the change then the installer is at fault for damaging the sensors.
Some tire shops have small print on their job orders that say they are not responsible for damage to your sensors. If you sign that you will be relieving them of the responsibility. Go to a dealer who have properly trained their employees.