Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

04 Accent, starter replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Default 04 Accent, starter replacement questions

hey guys and girls, first off let me say thank god i found this site! I have alittle story to go along with my question...

this morning is 9degrees, chilly chilly, i get a phone call early this morning from my girlfriends sister "my car wont start!?" i figure its because its freezing out, so i say its probably the battery...(battery is no more then 3 yrs old, cheap autozone battery..) she told me for awhile early in the morning if its cold it wont start so she waits ahour or so and trys again and it will work (most likely because by then the sun is out, she leaves 4:30am-5am in the morning)

so now she is dead set that its the starter because the battery is fairly new, im working now but once i get home im going to test the battery with my multi meter and see if shes low, im also going to clean the battery terminals throw some dielectric grease on the ends and see if it will turn over BUT

if this doesnt work, my next guess is replacing the starter...

now heres the questions , and sorry it took so long to ask... how hard is it to replace the starter on a 04 accent with SOHC? i did a google search and someone said something about doing it threw the top of the motor, this would be great if its true that way i can do it right infront of her house and not have to jump it to get it to my shop...

i also found this link on this site ( i always search before posting my questions)
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/h...-starter-5693/

below post #5 by jsinton (banned?)

The instructions for removal assume you know what you are doing:

Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Remove the speedometer cable and the shift cable.
Disconnect the starter motor connector and terminal.
Remove the starter motor assembly.
Installation is the reverse order of removal.
just curious how hard removal of the speedo cable and shift cable is? and if there is any tricks to it? and is this done from above?

guys any direction is greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read this book i just wrote! lol again thanks!

danny + Crystal

Last edited by lightningdan; 01-23-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, you should be able to access it from above. It's high on the transmission.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Wow thanks for the quick response! We tackling projects like this I like to research it before I do it so I know what I'm getting into, plus the vehicle isn't right in front of me lol

Thanks for the pic!! I'm hopin it's something stupid like the battery ends being corroded

Just a few weeks ago her younger sister called me and when I went to check the voltage on the battery the positive was so loose u could pull it off with ur pinky finger!!

Hopefully this is a easy one too!

Thanks for the quick response this site looks like it has a great community!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Well guys got to check the car out last night, the battery was stone dead... And the battery cable ends were green and full of crust, I threw in a new interstate battery, and put on some brand new cable ends, greased the with some dielectric grease and she fired right up!

Thanks for the diagrams for the starter I appreciate it!!