Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   04 Accent weak reverse harsh 2nd -3rd shift (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/04-accent-weak-reverse-harsh-2nd-3rd-shift-12517/)

lee3393 04-08-2012 09:20 PM

04 Accent weak reverse harsh 2nd -3rd shift

Hello, Kind of a long description but here goes. I just got my 2004 Accent 1.6L Auto. It is great except the reverse is weak/slow to engage and sometimes chatters but will back car on level ground. Fluid was nearly a qt low/ filled to top of hot when hot and no change. It also holds second gear until dropping suddenly into 3rd. It also clunks into gear when slowing to a stop (one of the low gears second or first?). Other than this its smooth and strong and drives great in overdrive. Not sure where to go from here I have searched the threads and google not much similar to go on. Thanks in advance for any advice. Is my trans repairable?

LJ

NovaResource 04-09-2012 01:41 PM

How many miles? Has the trans fluid ever been changed? It should be changed every 30K miles.

lee3393 04-11-2012 12:56 PM

Help!!

04 accent 145K I found it was nearly a qt low I dont know the service history. It seems to want to hold second longer than it should (3k rpm) Its shift quality varies sometimes is good but not usually its harsh. I found it had stored code p1709 I wonder if my kick-down servo is bad? They don't seem to be easily available, but is easy to get to. I read there is a TSB for it.:confused: Thanks for the reply. Lee

lee3393 04-12-2012 08:17 PM

Kick-down servo switch

Well I removed the C clip ring holding the k/d servo switch in place. A little trans fluid came out about a teaspoon not sure if this area is supposed to be wet or dry. The switch was wet gonna try a new one. It backed up great after drying it out and cycling it. It never backed that strongly before. I also pulled on the pin that actuates the switch it didn't seem to bind at all. The car didnt want to back after driving a while. Stay tuned :D

laughingoddess 04-15-2012 06:10 PM

I had this issue, when the spark plugs were replaced it disappeared! I'm not a car mechanic so I'm not really sure why that helped, but it did lol

lee3393 04-18-2012 08:07 PM

Thanks

Did you replace them yourself? Thanks for the reply! ;)

laughingoddess 04-21-2012 04:34 PM

haha

No, I didn't replace the plugs myself... My skill level is that of a first grader when it comes to cars. But I want to learn. So far I know the names and locations of basic things, I can change my wipers, check my oil, get gas, add windsheild wiper fluid, check tire pressure and add air, add coolant... Um beyond that I'm useless. Good luck, let me know if that really helps!

Ben Johnson 08-04-2013 08:46 AM

Did the problem get resolved?

Lee, did you find a final solution? As a new owner of an '02 Accent with tranny problems, I'm struggling for answers.

Erichshonda 08-29-2013 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lee3393 (Post 42701)
04 accent 145K I found it was nearly a qt low I dont know the service history. It seems to want to hold second longer than it should (3k rpm) Its shift quality varies sometimes is good but not usually its harsh. I found it had stored code p1709 I wonder if my kick-down servo is bad? They don't seem to be easily available, but is easy to get to. I read there is a TSB for it.:confused: Thanks for the reply. Lee

From my past experience I have delt with this code many times. Yes there is a bulletin for this fault but it is useless. I have replaced many transmissions for this fault under warranty. After servo replacement this never repaired a single vehicle. Back in those days I sometimes would replace 2 to 3 transmissions a week. These early model transmissions were a major weak link for these cars.