Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2001 Accent - Single DIN stereo won't fit fascia opening? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Default 2001 Accent - Single DIN stereo won't fit fascia opening? Help!

Hi guys. I'm trying to install a new stereo in my wife's 2001 Hyundai Accent GL as a Mother's Day present, and although I've had multiple sources confirm that the stereo should fit (it's a Boss BV7320), I'm running into a problem when trying to close up the dash fascia.

As I'm sure you all know, the stereo opening in a 2001 Accent is rounded. But both the head unit itself and the faceplate are rectangular (and pretty big), I took the mounting kit off the previous stereo (which was a Pioneer), but I wasn't able to use the front piece of it because the stereo's faceplate is too big and won't fit inside it.

So, I tried just using the side pieces, and mounting it to my dash...which worked. But when I get the fascia back into place, the stereo faceplate is unable to close...again because it seems to be too big. I've tried adjusting the mounting position...even considering mounting it "sticking out" of the dash (but the head unit itself won't fit through the fascia opening) and "too deep" (but the faceplate is still blocked by the roundedness of the fascia), and I'm just getting nowhere.

Everyone I've talked to (even a Crutchfield rep) has told me that all Single DIN stereos fit the same. So, I just can't process what I could be doing wrong. I'm going to go back out and take some pictures in a little bit to hopefully help people understand what I mean. I've Googled this issue and have come up with nothing. So, I'm just at a complete loss here. I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer me.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Here's a couple pictures I took and a video showing the problem.

Name:  2012-05-05184652.jpg
Views: 1923
Size:  32.2 KB
The faceplate is too big to fit inside the mounting adapter, so I can't use that.

Name:  2012-05-05184723.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  47.8 KB

Size comparison to the Pioneer stereo that was in the
car
. You can see how much bigger the Boss faceplate is. How is that supposed to fit?

And finally, a short video showing it installed as good as I can get it.

video-2012-05-05-18-42-37.mp4 - YouTube

Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Question Why Won't This Single DIN Stereo Fit In My 2001 Accent?

Hi guys. I've been trying to install a new stereo in my wife's 2001 Hyundai Accent GL as a Mother's Day present, and although I've had multiple sources confirm that the stereo should fit since it's "single DIN" (it's a Boss BV7320), I'm running into a problem when trying to close up the dash fascia.

I have a mounting kit, which I took off the previous stereo (a Pioneer DEH-P3300), but I wasn't able to use the front piece of it because the Boss's faceplate is too big and won't fit inside it.

2012-05-05184652.jpg?t=1336344264

And here's a picture of the two faceplates side by side. It's pretty apparent how much bigger the Boss faceplate is than the old Pioneer one.
2012-05-05184723.jpg?t=1336344354

So, I tried just using the side pieces, and mounting it to my dash...which worked. I was able to mount the unit itself inside the dash, and everything seemed to be going ok. But when I put the fascia back into place, the stereo faceplate is unable to close...again because it seems to be too big. I've tried adjusting the mounting position...even considering mounting it "sticking out" of the dash (but the head unit itself won't fit through the fascia opening) and "too deep" (but the faceplate is still blocked by the roundedness of the fascia), and I'm just getting nowhere.

(short video illustrating this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDfOoGxcFDM

Everyone I've talked to (even a Crutchfield rep) has told me that all Single DIN stereos fit the same. So, I just can't process what I could be doing wrong. I've Googled this issue and have come up with nothing. The only thing I can surmise is that this thing just needs a wide open dash to fit properly...even in a single DIN setting.

I took one last picture to show the faceplate actually sitting ABOVE the unit when it's in the closed position. I don't understand how that could possibly work with any kind of dash trim surrounding it.The unit actually came with a trim piece itself...I guess to make the front and faceplate line up properly, but obviously, I wasn't able to use that either.

2012-05-06171745.jpg?t=1336344390

I'm just at a complete loss here. I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer me. Thanks in advance!