Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2002 Accent Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Default 2002 Accent Won't Start

DOHC 1.6L No crank. Lights work, battery and cables good.

The problem is (probably only temporarily) gone. I jiggled a few things and removed and reinserted a small (about 2 x 1.4 x 3cm) black 3-pronged box in a compartment near the battery that has fuses and other boxes, under the word "start" on the cover. I am guessing that this is the starter relay, and that it may need replacement. I think I should buy one to keep on hand.

I would appreciate advice from anyone with knowledge or an opinion.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

That's a possibility. Having a spare relay is a good idea.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Default Thanks Nova

One more question. Is there any special technique for getting the relay out? I did it once, but I had a heck of a time doing it. I fiddled with what I thought might be retainers, but it the end maybe it was just brute force.

Thanks, Robert

Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by ralathyundai
One more question. Is there any special technique for getting the relay out? I did it once, but I had a heck of a time doing it. I fiddled with what I thought might be retainers, but it the end maybe it was just brute force.

Thanks, Robert
They are tight. Jiggling and pulling is often all you need to do, but sometimes I've had to use something to pry the relay up, out of the socket, or to use some pliers for a better grip. If you use either of the latter techniques, be careful - when you pry, be careful not to short the pins & when you grip, be careful not to crush the relay housing.

I would recommend disconnecting the battery before poking and prodding into the electrical system - this can save some components in case of a short.

You may have poor or corroded contacts on the relay/socket. If this is the case, it should be evident when you pull out the relay. To remedy this, clean off the contacts and apply a thin film of di-electric grease before re-installing.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Default Back to Square Onehttp://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

No crank problem returned. Replaced starter relay - no help.

Seems to me next step is to see whether starter motor is getting current when key is engaged.

I'm continuing to work on this, but in the meantime I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Alfons
.... be careful... when you grip, be careful not to crush the relay housing.

I would recommend disconnecting the battery before poking and prodding into the electrical system - this can save some components in case of a short.

You may have poor or corroded contacts on the relay/socket. If this is the case, it should be evident when you pull out the relay. To remedy this, clean off the contacts and apply a thin film of di-electric grease before re-installing.
Good advice. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Those starter motors can quit without warning. I would check for input of power to the starter when the key is turned to START - to do this checking, you should have a multi-meter as well as a wiring diagram.

Multi-meters are inexpensive, and then a set of test leads with alligator clips should also be cheap & the wiring diagram would be free as a pdf download. If you have difficulty finding one, send me your email address via PM & I'll email you a service manual section that will cover the starter circuit.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Default Where Is Starter?

Originally Posted by Alfons
Those starter motors can quit without warning. I would check for input of power to the starter when the key is turned to START - to do this checking, you should have a multi-meter as well as a wiring diagram.

Multi-meters are inexpensive, and then a set of test leads with alligator clips should also be cheap & the wiring diagram would be free as a pdf download. If you have difficulty finding one, send me your email address via PM & I'll email you a service manual section that will cover the starter circuit.
Generous offer. I have the shop manual.

I also have a spare (used) starter motor.

Problem is - I can't find the starter motor, even with the manual! I'm guessing it is on the passenger side closer to the rear than the alternator and at about the same height. Are these guesses right?

Thanks, Robert