Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2004 Accent automatic, weird sound from . . . transaxle???

Old 06-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Default 2004 Accent automatic, weird sound from . . . transaxle???

I've seen MANY threads about strange noises coming from people's Accents and Elantras. Now I have one, and I'm thoroughly puzzled. Doesn't always do it, but is getting louder with each passing month, and has me VERY concerned. Only happens during acceleration, not maintaining or decelerating. When I pull away from a stop, I start hearing this sound (from the front I think, like transaxle maybe). It waxes and wanes as I accelerate, pitch increasing with increasing speed, like zip . . . . zip . . . zip . . zip . zip zip zip zipzipzip, as if a splined component is rubbing against something. The thing that has me REALLY puzzled, and REALLY concerned, the pitch is really slow. Actually sounds like it is slower than the tire rotation. IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE??!! Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is at exactly the speed of tire rotation, but sure sounds slower. Any ideas?? Is my tranny fixin' to take a dump??!! HELP!!

Old 07-07-2019, 02:17 PM

OK, so, if you've read my previous post about CV joints, you already know that I've had entire half-shafts replaced, both sides. Car is like new now. I was REALLY HOPING that this noise I was hearing would "go away" after half-shafts and CV joints were replaced, but not the case. Still makes this sound during acceleration, like a splined shaft touching something, or gear teeth touching something. Definitely sounds like it's coming from inside the transmission. Doesn't ALWAYS do it, only sometimes, and only during acceleration. I am DEEPLY CONCERNED! I know there are some experts out there reading these posts. PLEASE give me your thoughts.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:34 AM

really??!!

Old 08-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Please don't get upset because we ask some questions.

Now, you had the CV shafts replaced, right? Did you instruct the service facility to replace them or did the service facility advise you?

Some places will do as we ask and if what we ask to have done is wrong, well, that's what you wanted done !

Did you have anyone ride with you to hear and feel what you are trying to describe here? Did they provide any diagnosis?
Without actually hearing the sounds we are shooting in the dark. There could be several causes for what we THINK your description is, but without actually hearing and seeing the other conditions , it is practically impossible to offer any worthwhile suggestions.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:44 PM

Hi hanky, I have no objections at all if anyone asks questions. I would ask as well. Yes, I had the CV shafts replaced, and I was REALLY HOPING that weird sound would vanish. When it didn't, that's when I got concerned. The CV shafts definitely did need to be replaced. I've been a FWD owner for over 40 years, so I know the sounds and the drill. The OUTER joint on the passenger side was clicking really bad, and getting worse rapidly. The driver side had barely started clicking, but I knew it was not long for this world. The sound I'm still hearing has not been diagnosed by anyone yet. It increases in pitch as the speed of the vehicle increases, as though it is based fully upon wheel rotation speed. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in. Only does it during acceleration, not during deceleration. If it does it while cruising at a constant steady speed, it is too quiet for me to notice it. If you can imagine the teeth of a gear, or the splines of a splined shaft, touching something, that is what it "kinda sorta in a way more or less" sounds like. Is there anything outside the transaxle that could even make a sound like that??? I don't know of any component on the front drive assemblies that have any teeth or splines, other than the splined shafts on the CV axles/halfshafts. Any thoughts would be welcomed and greatly appreciated. By the way, I should have mentioned this before; this transmission is a remanufactured unit from Hyundai. The original unit died catastrophically at around 56,000 miles. The car now has 190,000 on it, so this tranny now has around 134,000 on it. I've had it flushed and fluid changed often (by a Hyundai-authorized garage). Thanks again. Eagerly awaiting replies.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:31 AM

Thanks for understanding.

Something to check,
When we get something we don't want on acceleration, I would suggest to have the motor mounts checked. When additional torque is applied to the drive train the engine has a tendency to "torque/lift " and dimensions change momentarily ,worth confirming they are not damaged or worn..

If nothing is found there , do we know, there is not a problem with one of the wheel hubs possibly the side where the noise is loudest ?
Sometimes a little lube where the hub bearing butts up against the axle can get rid of an annoying noise that does not affect the safety of the system.

Last edited by hanky; 08-10-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:33 AM

EXCELLENT! THANKS HANKY! I will definitely check these issues out in the order suggested. The motor mount suggestion is one I had never even considered, but makes a lot of sense. The lube suggestion is one I had considered, but now that you've mentioned it, I'll pursue that one for sure asap. The motor mount suggestion does now remind me of one other issue I had in the past, but had forgotten all about until now. The TRANSMISSION mount had to be replaced at one point. I can't recall if that was before or after the tranny was replaced. I was told by the garage that this tranny mount definitely needed to be replaced, that it was very risky to continue driving the car without promptly replacing it. So, now that the car is 15 years old and high mileage, I think I'll check out that tranny mount also when I check the engine mounts. Thanks very kindly for your suggestions hanky. Very much appreciated. I'll update as soon as I know anything.
Best Regards,
Mike