Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2004 Hyandi accent won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:17 AM
Default 2004 Hyandi accent won’t start

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on problem with my car.
its a 2004 hyandi accent 1.6 auto
on Tuesday it wouldn’t start at all. AA came out and the error code turned out to be crankshaft sensor.
Replaced the crankshaft and still will not work. There is no error code anymore.
The car tries to start but seems like it doesn’t have that last little push to ignite it.
Please if there is anyone that has experienced this or would even know it would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Old 12-07-2018, 06:47 AM

It would help if we had the actual code. There are several different codes that relate to the crankshaft position sensor. Maybe replacing the sensor was not the right thing to do?

You could perform a scan to see if any codes are pending even if there is no CEL on.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:09 AM

There is no error showing anymore
code was P0335 crankshaft position sensor malfunction

Old 12-07-2018, 08:03 AM

Ahhh.
Malfunction does not mean the sensor is kaput. It means it did not work for some reason. The mechanic's job is to find that reason.

Look here:
https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0335

Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Ok thanks.
im 9 months pregnant and was trying to fix the problem before taking it to mechanic and having them randomly change parts that it doesn’t need.
I have tested the spark plug and there is no spark on the spark plug when I try to start the car.
hoping it’s a quick, inexpensive fix

Old 12-07-2018, 11:35 AM

1. Use live scan tool to check that there is a RPM reading when the engine is running.
  2. Conduct a visual inspection of the crank sensor and connectors and search for signs of fraying/damage to the wiring.
  3. If no visible damage is found, you can check the CKP 5 Volt square wave pattern. You will have to reference your vehicle’s repair manual to determine which resistance reading is sufficient. This reading will come from the vehicle’s PCM.
    1. If you are not familiar with vehicles, it is best to leave this step to a professional.
  4. If the reading is within the specifications of the vehicle, no need to replace the crankshaft position sensor
    1. However if the reading is NOT within the specifications of the vehicles, the crankshaft position sensor should be replaced.
      1. Replace any frays/damaged wiring and if the reading is within the specifications now, there may be a short in the wiring.
The above is from the link in I provided. If it's easy or hard depends very much on your access to tools and level of experience. Nr. 1 won't work because the engine is not even starting. I bet you have already done the visual inspection. You could go over it one more time.

Maybe it is easier for you to find a good independent mechanic. One with a reputation of treating people the right way.

Wishing you and you family addition the best!

Old 12-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Thank you
I’ve decided tomorrow morning I will call AA back out to see if they can run a diagnostic on it and take it to a mechanic and just have a mechanic repair it. Hopefully it won’t be to bad. The car only has 80,000 miles on it so really hoping it is fixable
thank you so much for your help. Think I’ve done all I can to try and solve this problem at the moment

Old 12-07-2018, 11:58 PM

If it was a crankshaft sensor issue then both spark and injector pulse would be missing
You check for spark and there was none. If you can feel the injectors to see if it is firing
Or you can put a test light on it to check to see if there is injector pulse
If both are missing then should check wiring.
Sometimes a mouse will chew on the wiring
Also, check the downstream O2 sensor's wiring
Have seen where it gets shorted and takes out the other sensors

Good luck and hope it is an easy (not expensive fix)

Old 12-15-2018, 12:10 PM

After looking everywhere for how to fix or even figure out this issue, I finally found a post that actually worked and wanted to share it here because it was such an obscure fix that I never would have figured it out myself. https://www.hyundai-forums.com/lc-20...-solution.html
Apparently, most times the car will throw a code for the camshaft sensor and the link above explains it in detail and how to fix it. Hope this helps!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by sarahmw23
After looking everywhere for how to fix or even figure out this issue, I finally found a post that actually worked and wanted to share it here because it was such an obscure fix that I never would have figured it out myself. https://www.hyundai-forums.com/lc-20...-solution.html
Apparently, most times the car will throw a code for the camshaft sensor and the link above explains it in detail and how to fix it. Hope this helps!
I am speechless! Thank you Sarah. This is going to help someone.

Quick Reply: 2004 Hyandi accent won’t start