Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2007 Accent manual trans - told it must be replaced??!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Unhappy 2007 Accent manual trans - told it must be replaced??!?

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and honestly I'm very unhappy at the moment. We have a 2007 Accent manual transmission hatchback with ~70,000 miles on it. It's been a fantastic little car, up until now.

Problems started about 2 months ago. First, the engine was running rough, so we got a tuneup+ which fixed that. Then a couple of weeks ago the starter died. According to the tow truck driver, also a mechanic, the wiring leading to the started was "frayed" and "sparking"! Took it back to our usual repair shop, which had done the tuneup, and they replaced the starter. About $450 USD.

After only having it back for a few days, it began not wanting to shift into reverse. Took it to a different repair shop, and they now say we should not drive it and it needs the entire transmission replaced. For about $1600 -$2000.

WTF??!?? Is this common? One of the reasons for having a manual transmission (besides the fact that we both like driving much more with a manual ) is that I thought it would be cheaper to maintain and repair.

I know that's not a lot of information to go on, but I don't know what the shop did, if anything, besides "look at it." Do we really need the entire transmission replaced??!? This sounds excessive, and I'm getting the vague feeling we're being taken advantage of by someone... but perhaps not!

I'd be very grateful if someone could shed light on this. What are the usual symptoms of truly needing a manual transmission completely replaced?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 PM

If the wiring was frayed then why did the mechanic change the starter?
All he had to do was fix the wiring. Yeah, probably couldn't make enough money on the job???

As for the trransmission, don't know enough to say.
I always take it to AAMACO. and get an estimate.
One time it cost alot to fix
Another time it was just a cable inside the tranny.
Still cost a lot but I knew it was fixed.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:25 AM

Are you near a Hyundai dealer ?
If possible , try to get an estimate of just what is wrong and what is required to correct it then the estimate.

It is sad to hear these horror stories ,and sometimes they are truthful and other times not.
I have repaired many automatic and manual transmissions, but never one for a Hyundai so we learn if you don't know for sure don't mislead.
That is why I would suggest the Hyundai people. You are only asking for an estimate and that should not cost much if anything.

What I can ask is, what do you feel when attempting to put it into reverse? Does it not allow you to get it all the way there? Or does it go fully into reverse and nothing happens when you let the clutch out? Does it feel right when shifting into the other gears? What we are trying to determine is if it could be something with just the linkage or something inside the trans.