Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ??? (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/2012-accent-anyone-have-10993/)

mjb457 06-05-2011 07:01 PM

2012 ACCENT Anyone Have ???

Just saw a white 2012 Accent sedan-pretty loaded for $17k-looked awesome-... anyone have or drive one? worth it? thanks MJB:D

mrmr256 06-05-2011 09:19 PM

Bought one. First new car and so far it's been great. Got a decent deal on it, fully loaded.

Nice to have a that autopart stores don't carry parts for it lol. so used to looking at parts store from having used cars...

2012accent 06-16-2011 04:31 AM

I just bought a $17k one "pretty loaded." Yes its worth it! It is an amazing piece of machinery. No Honda, BMW, or Lexus has ANYTHING on it. Its simply the small version of the "large" 2011 Sonata, and the "medium" Elantra. Coulda had an Elantra or Sonata, but liked the Accent better.

The fuel economy is simply STELLAR at moderate speeds. The thing will average 58+mpg at 45 mph. At 55 it is getting 54mpg. At 70 it gets 40.5mpg.
These economy figures are steady state figures taken from a rolling start with the windows up and the AC off. Testing was done on flat ground, and over several miles to get an accurate average. The car is equipped with a nice trip/mpg/elapsed time, etc readout. I was using the "average mpg" readout to get my figures. When I can quit playing with it, I'll leave it alone for an entire tank of gas and figure the mileage the old fashioned way in order to verify the accuracy of the system.

In the real world, you can get about 50 mpg on longer trips if you can keep the speed around 55.

...the fit and finish is superb. Materials appearance superb. Excellent power and accelleration if you need it. Superb gas mileage. And it is really comfortable to drive or ride in the passenger seat. Me and my girlfriend just returned from a 400mi. trip and found it to be as comfortable as ANY car we've ridden in. And I weigh 230lb. There's room to spread your legs. The trunk is spacious. AC system is ridiculously cold and starts to work quick. Interior looks more like an expensive car, not one of the cheapest cars you can buy. I like the exterior styling. Got the 16" aluminum wheels and love the way they look. Handles like a sports car. I even love the large side mirrors on this car. You can REALLY see things well in them.
What more could you want? I think it is well worth the price, especially since it will slowly pay for itself in fuel costs you will invariably save over just about any car on the road.
I'm very critical of vehicles. But I simply can't find ANYTHING I dont like about this car!

kazza2ud 06-17-2011 12:28 AM

no but i'm really curious how it contends with the 2011 fiesta... the accent has a 6 speed manual which is pretty impressive, but i think i liked the feel of the drive better in the fiesta. anyone else compare them? It's too bad Hyundai isn't offering better incentives... I can get $1000 off a Fiesta but nothing off an Accent, so I'd have to spend at least a grand more to get keyless entry... which really should be standard on the Accent.

2012accent 06-17-2011 03:49 AM

Here's my experiences with the things you mentioned.

I had a Ford Focus SVT with a 6-speed manual. A 6-speed manual transmission is a ridiculous bunch of work in order to get around town. The gates on a 6 speed manual are confusing. There are simply too many gears and gates on the shifter. For instance, it is easy to go from 2nd to 5th gear accidentally. And all the gears make it alot of work remembering what gear you're in and what gear you might need to shift to in a given situation. Not to mention always having your hands full rowing on the '6' gears! Even if it was a 911 Turbo, I'd rather have a 5-speed!

And as for the new Fiesta? I'm sure its just the "new" Focus. Probably made in Mexico like the SVT Focus I had. That thing literally fell apart before my very eyes. What a piece of junk. I would think twice before buying a Fiesta.

These are the kind of reasons I bought the new Accent. I paid extra for the automatic 6 speed transmission. The computer does all the work associated with finding and choosing the right gear for any situation. And I get the same excellent acceleration and tall gearing for highway economy as a 6 speed manual. And you can comfortably slurp on a milkshake on the way to Wal-mart. The automatic is well worth the extra money!

kazza2ud 06-17-2011 10:30 AM

That's interesting.. I guess that's why most are 5 speed lol. :D

Well apparently the new Ford cars have been pretty good quality--only problems have been with this PowerShift automanual weird automatic transmission (which I'll be avoiding). I negotiated an out-the-door price on the fiesta of around 14.8k for the 5 speed manual with keyless entry and cruise control... that's about all I have to spend, so I was looking at the bare bones Accent in stick as a comparison. I'll probably be sticking with the Fiesta but may give the Accent another test drive. I remember thinking the gas pedal felt too loose for about the first inch, but honestly I think I was looking for reasons to cross it out to make the decision easier!

2012accent 06-17-2011 05:36 PM

I see what you mean. If thats all you want to pay, then the automatic is out to lunch. I just hope you are young and energetic and still enthusiastic about working the shifter, then it isn't an issue. But I like to multitask in a car and the auto makes things 10 times easier. Don't get me wrong, I'm an old Mustang street/drag racer and I always insisted on a manual transmission and supercharging back then. But I'm 38 years old now and gas is $4.00 per gallon and the only performance I have an intrest in is FUEL ECONOMY!

kazza2ud 06-18-2011 11:23 AM

Yea I don't mind shifting. I'm pretty amazed at those mpg numbers... are those accurate? What's your average mpg over time, like say an entire trip, or a week, something like that?

mrmr256 06-21-2011 08:19 AM

I've been getting around 34mpg MIXED driving and I have been flooring it from time to time after I broke in the engine from what I've been reading around.

Anywho, I have the automatic and I'm surprised theres no dipstick to check the fluid level.

The bluetooth system is great and the voice command also works great.

The surprising part is that Hyundais are assembled in America. In fact, the engine is also built in America, while the transmissions are built in Korea still. However, the Ford Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion are built in Mexico....

Nissan for a while had their cars built in Mexico and they were plagued with recalls, so in 2005 they set up assembly plants back in the US and their recalls dropped dramatically.

So, keep that in mind...

echomatics 06-22-2011 10:59 AM

This Sat I did spend all day test driving:
Honda Civic 2007-2009
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
Nissan Versa

At the end of the day the 2012 Accent was an absolutely no brainier. Car looks amazing IMO and features are outstanding and a class above all others in the same range. The car is zippy, great full mileage and overall just seems very nice to drive. Thus far very happy with the car, just need to find more excuses to drive it ;)