Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   37k!!!! And they tell me I need a clutch?!?!?! (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/37k-they-tell-me-i-need-clutch-539/)

Nauticus 10-27-2005 09:40 PM

37k!!!! And they tell me I need a clutch?!?!?!

Hello all, I am the owner of a 2003 Accent. I just had it to the local dealer who informed me that the clutch was bad and needed to be replaced. At 37,499 miles!!!! As a side note, this is NOT my first five speed, I have been driving 5spds for over 10 years. The accent still has the original tires and brakes on it, so no.... it does not get driven hard or abused. Just alot of highway miles.

I have done everything so far but call the BBB and file a complaint. In my years as a service advisor for a couple of other car makes, I have never seen anything like this. Has anyone else had this problem of heard of anything like it???

Please help! I love my car and Hyundai...... but this leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

The clutch is NOT slipping, I noticed it was hard to get into gear the past two days. I had to take it in for an Air Bag light that came on after I removed the drivers seat to install an alarm/power lock system. That is why I asked about the car being difficult to get into gear.

poacher 10-27-2005 09:50 PM

RE: 37k!!!! And they tell me I need a clutch?!?!?!

Are you the original owner of this vehicle?

Nauticus 10-27-2005 10:53 PM

Yes, I am the original owner. Any further questions?

Brant 10-28-2005 11:59 AM

Your right, sounds like bs however, it could be a cheap plate (OEM), the rivets may be loose which could explain the hard shift. My GEO METRO, god rest it's little 3 cylinder soul, had that issue. How was it determined that your clutch needed to be replaced??
Good Luck,
Brant

poacher 10-29-2005 02:07 AM

Sounds to me like your syncronizer's shot.

poacher 10-29-2005 02:08 AM

Does it have a tendency to pop out of first or fourth at all? Is it also nearly impossible at times to put in reverse?

Nauticus 10-29-2005 12:19 PM

The vehicle has no difficulty in staying in gear. just going into all gears, foward and reverse. The clutch pedal is also like stepping on a wet sponge. not much resistance till you get to the bottom. The clutch engages just after the pedal is released from the floor.

The service dept at CAPITOL HYUNDAI in columbia S.C. said that is what it would need. A $900 dollar repair. I spoke to the svc manager as well as calling the customer service line. Bottom line, whatever the dealer says.......goes. I took it to a different dealership yesterday to have a second opinion. They feel it should be a warrantied claim due to the mileage. So monday they are going to tear into it and see what the problem is. Most certianly it is the pressure plate has crapped out. But we shall see.

I am glad to se there are some dealerships that seem to care about the customer out there. The slackers at CAPITOL just seem to want to make a quick buck. I know warranty work doesn't pay as well as customer pay, but doing that is a real good way to loose customers.

So if anyone is in the South Carolina area, do not go to Capitol hyundai in columbia. The service dept down a Florence Hyundai are much better. A real good group of guys there.

poacher 10-29-2005 06:59 PM

I am really glad that things worked out for you. The pressure plate is definately a good possibility. Let us know exactly what they found out when it's done.

Nauticus 10-29-2005 08:09 PM

Will do. I am very pleased with the treatment from the dealership in Florence. I don't feel like an open wallet to them.

poacher 10-30-2005 04:21 AM

Sadly good customer service is hard to find, so stick with em.