Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

95 accent stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 AM
Exclamation 95 accent stalls while driving

hey so i just bought this car (my first) about three weeks ago. car ran fine for the test drive and for the first 150km no problems, then it stalled when i was going up a off ramp when i tried to give it gas. i started right up, then stalled again on the way home. then ran good for 200km until it started acting up again and died on me leaving my driveway when i tried to give it gas (it had been idling for 5 mins) it then died again three times within 15 blocks until i got it back home!! me and some friends thought it was the fuel pump so i bought a new one (filter and strainer) put it in and the car ran great for about 100km then died on me while i was driving to a friends and on the way home for about a solid 45 second to a minute the car would just about die then rev forward to almost die again to rev forward until it just started running perfectly again soo my friend thought it might be a problem with my throttle or mass air flow sensor, so today i bought the right cleaners and cleaned both. put in new spark plugs and a new air filter and the car drove perfectly but then when i was just about home it died turning threw a intersection, so id slowed down and when i tried to give it gas, nothing and then it stalled.. started up right away but then like semi stalled (no real power but not total dead so i let it coast drive) pulling into my driveway a half block from the intersection.
other info when i put moderate or hard on the accelerator i hear a squealing, i use to think it came from the right engine area but i now believe its coming from where the fuel pump is!! and with the new fuel pump is seems to squeal with even less force applied to the accelerator but it doesnt do it if your light on the accelerator.
car is 250k
o and the check engine light DOESNT come one while driving until the car stalls... o and the battery is reading 12 volts on my volt meter...

Last edited by westcoast/bestcoast; 01-03-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Do you have a scanner?
Or can you go to an auto parts store and ask to scan your car for Diagnostic Trouble Codes?
The format for the trouble codes are P followed by four digits PXXXX
They will help point towards the problem

Car stalls? Could be a number of things
But, most likely to be crankshaft sensor and/or its associated wiring
Being such an old car, it can be the wiring

See if you can get a schematic for you car
Get a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) or multi-meter
Or even a test light will help trouble shoot

Good luck

Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 AM

i dont have a scanner, didnt know i could use one at a parts store.. ill try to get it over to lordco!! yeah i went into a shop today to ask about how much a engine diagnostic would cost and he said it might be that sensor also!! i dont have a schematic of my car right now but i just ordered "CHILTON - Total Car Care Manual - Hyundai Coupes & Sedans, 1994-1998" so that should arrive next week i luckly already have a multi meter!! do you have any suggestions on how to test to see if it is the crankshaft or camshaft sensor??
thanks Ben

Old 01-04-2018, 06:06 PM

I would start with probing the crankshaft sensor's connector
One should be power, another is ground, and the third is he signal going to the ECM

Old 02-21-2018, 02:59 PM

Do you have a scanner?