Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Accent 1997 not charging when "aparently" overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Default Accent 1997 not charging when "aparently" overheating

HI there, I have inherited a good old accent 1300 that has started a few problems.. and I need some help please as I am having "a loss of faith moment"..

I have sent it into a local garage for a major service, (radiator burst... battery not charging.....) so the alternator was checked, water pump replaced.. cracked radiator head patched up.

Garage manager said alternator (which is only 14 months old) stops charging when engine gets too hot??? But the temp gauge is showing "normal"..

Yet the symptoms continue:

Drove my car literally 5 Km's --- My temp gauge shows a "normal running temp" but the alternator stops charging (I bought one of those simple volt meters that you plug into the cigarette port) and I saw my voltage below 12 volts and dropping.

This morning - started the car.. voltage was 13.5 --- I opened the bonnet / hood and the radiator cover was leaking again (bright green coolant everywhere) - but the radiator was full when I opened it... water top up reservoir was empty..

Do you suggest that I remove the thermostat & replace coolant temp sensor? Why would the alternator stop charging when the engine is too hot?

Why would the temp gague show "normal" when the radiator is full?

Pls help... I really like this "old faithful" car as a run around car - and I am stumped..

cheers!

Last edited by Bht7301; 12-28-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Default hot emg

Hi,

The only connection I can see connecting engine performance(engine overheating) and the electrical system would be at the engine control module. Have you tried disconnecting the engine temp sensor and run car for a short time to see if the voltage still drops? My experience has been with older cars and I am honestly familiar with the interactions of my 2012 components but I really don't see any other way the two systems interact other than at the ECM. I haven't seen a loss of voltage tied to overheating.
You might want to get another opinion from a different mechanic. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 PM

Sorry, I meant to say that I am not familiar with the interactions on my 2012, but in many years of working on automotive products I haven't heard of this connection.