Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Accent Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Default Accent Trouble

Hi everybody, my first post, and desperate. My Accent 1.3i was serviced and MOT'd last week (3 yrs old.) Next day, it raced as if on full throttle when started from cold, and surged when decelerating (not misfire.) The local Hyundai dealer scoped it by machine and found nothing. Today, the engine check light stayed on when started from cold (still racing) and the fan was on permanently, and it was checked again. This time they said there was an error in engine management, and they had corrected it. However, it stilleither races on idle or almost stalls on idle, and surges when decelerating. Is this electrical, or petrol - possibly a dirty throttle body? Is the throttle body on these models electronic? Any help would be appreciated. Hippo.

Old 10-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Accent Trouble

Sounds electronic to me, I think a sensor is fried. Sometimes if a sensor goes the computer doesn't catch it.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks, Poacher. How do I get that fixed? Would the fried sensor affect the cold start racing and the deceleration problem? Or do you mean it would account for the check light coming on, and the fan? Finally, how do I get my Hyundai dealer to try to fix the car when he says they can't pick up any problem? I am putting in a bottle of injector cleaner tomorrow to check that the jets aren't clogged. Will report back. Thanks again, Hippo.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:27 PM

Sorry Poacher, I also meant to ask if the fried sensor presents a breakdown problem? I live in a rural area, and need a car to be 100 pc reliable. Thanks. Hippo

Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Sensors can be a pretty tricky thing to find if the map reader can't pick it up. You can start by replacing cheap ones, O2, and etc. That might fix it up. It very well could be responsible for the problem. As far as breaking down it is hard to tell. I don't think you will end up stranded though. It may also be something mechanical, What is the climate where you are? You may have a throttle body that is sticking.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:33 PM

Hi again, Poacher. Will the injector cleaner also clean the throttle body? Our climate is wet just now, and cold, after a hot and wet summer. The mechanic at the dealer did suspect the throttle body initially. Thanks for your help so far. Hippo.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

The injector cleaner shouldn't do anything for the throttle body, but you can clean it out yourself. Take the air tubing off and spray carb and choke cleaner in it.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 PM

Hi again Poacher:

I don't want to outstay my welcome on this topic, but I'm a bit unusused to this engine. Is the throttle body the large steel piece when the tube from the air cleaner (about 2 inch diam) goes in? How deep in do I spray? Is there anything electronic in there I could damage. And finally (I promise) if it is a sticky body, how would that have brought on the engine check light and fan? Is there a diagram of a Hyundai Accent engine anywhere on this site or theWeb? Thanks! Hippo

Old 10-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

The objest you described is the throttle body. Just spray it inside a little and especially on the moving parts, it won't hurt anything electrical.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 PM

Hippo,
Poacher may be rightbut, if the dealer isn't getting anything, you may just have a loose connection to the sensor. Here's a long shot but, try wiggling some of the connections and or pulling them apart & then re-plugging them back together. Sand & moisture can be deadly over time and seem to get into everything, hell even vibration over time can loosen things up. Try it, it might help & won't cost you anything but, some time. Let us know how you make out!!
Brant

Quick Reply: Accent Trouble