Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Auto trans delay going into drive gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Default Auto trans delay going into drive gear

My Accent is now 18 months old and has 15,000 miles on it. From the first day that I had it there was a noticeable delay when you shift into drive gear and after this delay, when it goes into drive gear there is a noticeable thud as the drive gear engages. When I shift out of park and into reverse, the reverse gear engages quickly and smoothly. When I then shift out of reverse, after coming to a complete stop, and into drive there is this delay and thud as the drive gear engages.

Every time that I take the car to the dealer for routine service I complain about the transmission. The dealer says my transmission is behaving normally. Well I've have had many cars with auto transmissions in my lifetime and this is the first car to behave like this. Behaving normally, I think not!

Are any of you having this problem with your Accent's auto trans?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Get the car good and hot.

Stop into the service aisle and ask the people to reset the adaptive memory

After reset, put the car out in the driveway slowly, with foot on brake,,, shift from P to R, wait 5 seconds, then to N, then to D, wait 5 seconds, back to N, then back to R, and do this 12-15 times.

Then drive away at no more than 25% throttle across the lot and allow the trans to upshift through all gear, and back down. Do this about 5 times, and run with it.

See how it acts from there.

I guess while you is there, get the latest PCM update if not already done.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 PM

Take your car to the dealer and have them write it up as a tranny problem, then take one of the techs for a ride and let them experience your problem. The person changing your oil might not know.

You shouldn't have to do any recalibration. Shifting 15x...and 25% throttle. Hyundai should do that for you.