Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   Code P0016 (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/code-p0016-10489/)

fabher 03-09-2011 09:14 AM

Code P0016

I have this code showing P0016 what is it and how can i fix it also my airbag light is on how do i reset that? Someone please help

NovaResource 03-09-2011 10:02 AM

P0016 = Crankshaft position-Camshaft position correlation (Bank1 Sensor A)

Model year?
Engine?

It could be any number of things:
- bad Crankshaft Position Sensor
- bad Camshaft Position Sensor
- dirty or clogged CVVT oil control valve

Is the oil neglected and rarely changed? My guess it is and the oil control valve is clogged.

For the air bag light, again that could be any number of things. You will have to do to the dealer or a trained mechanic with the correct scanner to read the air bag error codes.

Alfredo Neri 09-16-2018 10:19 AM

2011 genesis coupe

I have the problem on my genesis coupe and it won’t start and it was saying about the crankshaft sensor but I check it and it’s good and camshaft as well would it be the oil control valve that is making it from not starting the car

hanky 09-17-2018 03:51 PM

Hi Alfredo,
As you know there is no catch all method to correct a no start problem.
Could you provide the codes/reasons you determined those three things you mentioned might be the problem?
If you checked them , could you tell us how you checked them?
Sometimes people say they checked something and all they did was look at it and that doesn't really work.
What helps a lot is, if you tell the entire story of the last time it ran what you did when you shut down the engine and so forth. Did it give any type of warning something was not right? Any check engine light ?

Everything is important , don't skip something thinking it was not important. OK ?

Alfredo Neri 09-17-2018 05:15 PM

Well I was driving when the check engine light came on took it to autozone and the computer threw code P0016 they said it might of been the cam/crank ssensor change the crank sensor and still nothing change the oil control valve and also nothing idk what else could be wrong it’s been sitting in my driveway for 3 days and I also check the 2 cams sensor and nothing any other suggestions

allegretto 09-18-2018 10:24 AM

The sensor is a messenger. I don't blame the messenger because it is an expensive knee jerk reaction.

Here are some possible reasons. Check the harness connections first.
Possible causes
Dirty Oil
Low engine oil level
Faulty Valve Timing Control (VTC)
Valve Timing Control (VTC) harness is open or shorted circuit.
Valve Timing Control (VTC) circuit poor electrical connector
Incorrect timing Engine mechanical problems
Damaged Engine Control Module (ECM)

hyundai23 11-15-2023 09:32 AM

Is the oil neglected and rarely changed? My guess it is and the oil control valve is clogged.
Hey so yeah it was neglected and then the light showed up and i realized that i drove without oil so i changed the oil filter and put some new oil at my mechnic's place and the check engine light dissaperad after i cleared it but came back 2 days later so i went online and saw that i may need to replace the things you mentioned here so first i replaced the camshaft sensors (there was 2 of them) and the problem was still there so i change the VVT valves too (left and right) and the check engine light is still there with the same code P0016.
I don't know what else i should do and the mechanic also don't know what to tell me.
Anyone who know what this can be?
Thanks!

Raphael 11-26-2023 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by hyundai23 (Post 65770)
... and i realized that i drove without oil ...

This sounds like kind of a big deal. If you drove for more than a minute or two you have probably totally borked the engine

hanky 11-27-2023 04:01 AM

When older vehicles leaked a lot, we became accustomed to checking the oil weekly. AND rarely lost an engine.

Times have changed and we don't do that as often as we should.and the time waiting to get the vehicle in for repairs due to neglect compounds the problem.
The owner's manual has some very interesting schedules to help with this and has a wealth of info available to prevent breakdowns and costly maintenance due to neglect.
It usually resides in the glove box and can save some hard earned $$$ when followed.