Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

DIY trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Default DIY trans flush

I know nothing about these little cars so maybe some one here can help

My ex has a 2000 Accent with 80,000 miles that has been having some trans issues (she'll log on later to elaborate) Apparently the trans has a delayed response sometimes

I;m thinking that changing out that brown fluid for something more pinkish may help

The JiffyLube guy just told her that changing fluid now may make the problem worse.
Have cars changed so much from the 70's and 80's era car that I work on that good fluid will not help with minor problems?

He was going to charge $200 for oil change and trans flush
Is a flush necessary. I always just drop the pan, clean the filter and add new fluid on my cars

Is there really anything to this special trans fluid other than market hype and revenue generation for Hyundai?
I would just about bet that jiffy lube doesn't have anything special in their bulk barrels

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Default RE: DIY trans flush

As one who works at a local garage, my advice is don't touch the trans fluid! The JiffyLube guy was correct. When we get a car in to our repair shop we won't touch the trans fluid on anything that's had the same fluid in it for 65,000 or more miles. Every place I've worked at has had a similar policy even in the 70s' and 80's. As much as I hate to say it, your ex is getting a very expensive lesson on why it pays to spend a few dollars on regularly scheduled maintenance.

Adam

Old 03-18-2007, 10:09 PM

How about a simple pan drain and fill or adding Lucas

One of my first cars was a 70 somethng Delta 88 that had maetal fillings on the dip stick and a slipping transmission a simple drain, filter and refill fixed the problem so I could sell the $50 car for $700 and buy something cooler ( I regret that now)

One of my current trucks is an 83 GMC that had hard shifting problems again a simple trans fkuid drain and filter change fix the problem.

I have also fixed a few more cars that were starnded by cleaning filters and changing fluid

This is why I prefer earlier American cars and trucks
But I still think it is ridiculous to say that a problem caused by old fluid and bad filters can not ever be fixed by changing the fluid and filters
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-18-2007, 11:45 PM

... i agree, flushing it may cause problems, but changing the filter and draining out the three or four quarts that are in the pan should be better for the car. if you are really paranoid about it just add some lucas transmission treatment, that stuff works wonders. but for such a small tranny i wouldnt put the whole bottle in, alittle more than half should be enough

Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 AM

I almost added Lucas to it yesterday but I have heard that some of the newer imports need special fluid for their transmissions.

I believe the bottle has the necessary dosage for small cars written on it
I use it in a diesel GMC and have added it to troublesome trans before.

She needs to get about one more year of reliable daily commute out of the car
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 PM

My advice is don't drop the pan or change the filter under any circumstances! You can try adding one of the transmission additives to it, but understand that adding a bottle of additive isn't going to fix the underlying problem and may actually "mask" the true condition of the transmission to the point where the car lets her down without any warning. As for the transmission being reliable for another year, that's something no one can predict.

I also wouldn't rely on the Jiffy Lube guy to diagnoise a transmission problem. There are other things that can cause a delayed response. Take the car to a reputable independent mechanic for a diagnosis. Speaking for the shop I work at, if a customer comes in with a complaint like yours, we'll drive the car and if we feel that it's a transmission problem, we won't charge the customer for just takinga test drive.