Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   Emergency Brake Light (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/emergency-brake-light-2732/)

dizzle 06-28-2007 10:43 PM

Emergency Brake Light

I have a Hyundai Accent 2002 model and for the past 3 days the emergency brake light has been on. I went somewhere and parked and when I got back into the car it was on. I NEVER use the E Brake unless I'm parked on a hill so I know I didn't put it on and I tested it to make sure and it was all the way down. What could be the cause of the light coming on? Is it just an electrical glitch or does it have something else to do with the actual brakes? I don't know where the thing is to check the brake fluid so if someone can help me out with this I would appreciate it.

maedhros 02-16-2008 01:45 PM

RE: Emergency Brake Light

It's a shame no one responded to this because my Emerg light has been on for several weeks now and I don't use my emerg brake. I imagine it's a simple electrical problem but I'd like to know for sure. I don't like seeing warning lights on my dash...it usually costs me money.

ken99 02-16-2008 02:42 PM

Check the brake fluid reservoir. The tank is mounted on top of the master cylinder that protrudes from the fire wall in the engine bay directly in front of the driver. I bet you'll find it is low and needs to be replenished with DOT 3 brake fluid. If the fluid is not low or filling the reservoir doesn't turn off the light, you have another problem with the brake system like a bad ABS sensor.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4972/08F31FB47D264AF9A15D55C30A2A6E6A.jpg[/IMG]

NovaResource 02-18-2008 06:49 AM

Don't fill the master if it's low. First check the brakes. If the brakes are worn and need replacement, the fluid will be low. Replacing the pads will bring the level back up. Only fill the master if the pads are new.

ken99 02-18-2008 10:15 AM

NovaResources is correct, you should get the brakes inspected and maintained, but don't drive the car around with a low brake fluid resevoir. If the level gets low enough and the master cylinder pulls any air into the lines, you will have no brakes at all. Fill the resevoir. It's easy enough to remove a portion of the fluid in the resevoir to accomodate new pads when the brakes are serviced.

Frank Keller 09-07-2020 02:20 PM

Kind of same problem

Originally Posted by maedhros (Post 12349)
It's a shame no one responded to this because my Emerg light has been on for several weeks now and I don't use my emerg brake. I imagine it's a simple electrical problem but I'd like to know for sure. I don't like seeing warning lights on my dash...it usually costs me money.

Have both the brake warning light an the parking brake warning lights on all the time (parking brake is not on) I replaced the parking brake switch. the sensor at the master cylinder does not have continuity as the reservoir is full. these are the most common problems that I have heard about. Is there another sensor somewhere that is wired into the dash light warnings? As far as I can tell there is not an ABS system
Forgot to mention car is a 2006 hyundai accent gls 1.6 motor. front disk back drum brakes