Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   Hot or cool air vs Fuel consumption (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/hot-cool-air-vs-fuel-consumption-16220/)

common26 01-02-2017 06:26 AM

Hot or cool air vs Fuel consumption

I have a doubt about the best way to save gas, cooler or hotter , which is the best air intake temperature (hot or cold) to save gas in Hyundai Accents :confused:

NovaResource 01-02-2017 09:46 AM

Hot.

When the air is warmer it is less dense with less oxygen. Less oxygen means less fuel is needed to maintain a 14:1 ratio of fuel to air.

Warmer air also mean less power so you need to open the throttle more. But remember, the throttle opening doesn't add more fuel, it adds more air flow. The computer adds the right amount of fuel to maintain the 14:1 ratio. With the throttle open more, there is less restriction to the air flow so it mumps easier.

I know it sounds strange but warm air is better fuel economy. Cold air is better power. Just be careful and not make the air too hot. That leads to detonation and pre-ignition.

common26 01-02-2017 10:15 AM

hot is less fuel and cold more power, got it

Does anyone have the better relation in terms of temp, between Ambient Tempp and Intake Temp.

12 15 20 25 degrees difference.

The goal of Fuel Economy, not power :)

common26 01-02-2017 10:16 AM

Thanks for your qucik reply NovaResource

Originally Posted by NovaResource (Post 52269)
Hot.

When the air is warmer it is less dense with less oxygen. Less oxygen means less fuel is needed to maintain a 14:1 ratio of fuel to air.

Warmer air also mean less power so you need to open the throttle more. But remember, the throttle opening doesn't add more fuel, it adds more air flow. The computer adds the right amount of fuel to maintain the 14:1 ratio. With the throttle open more, there is less restriction to the air flow so it mumps easier.

I know it sounds strange but warm air is better fuel economy. Cold air is better power. Just be careful and not make the air too hot. That leads to detonation and pre-ignition.

MGK 01-28-2017 09:21 PM

Ive been around the block a time or two with cars and will agree that the colder the air the more power it makes, now for warmer air... thats another story,when they build a car (any car) the intake system is set up for a generic "fit" in most cases you cant do wrong with staying with the stock airbox and just adding a high flow filter. Most cars on the streets will never obtain the levels of top end race cars so there is no need to go bollocks over anything.The new Hyundai Accents are very good at sipping gas in stock form.I have driven the 1.6 from Utah to NC on 150 worth of gas and make the trip from Utah to Wash State quite often on just 60 dollars worth of gas, 800 miles one way. Dont mess with it if it isnt broken.

common26 01-28-2017 10:39 PM

Thanks!