Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

hyundai accent 2009 automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Default hyundai accent 2009 automatic transmission problem

My 2009 accent has a weird transmission problem. when we drive out of town and go up the grapevine I 5 freeway its a 5 percent climb and the transmission down shifts it shifts so hard the car stalls and you think the transmission fell out,the car only has 48,000 miles but im scared to give it gas because im afraid something is going to break my kids wake up when there asleep because the shift is so hard,but in our town it runs perfect,what should i do?If i take it to dealer it will shift fine but climbing it will scare the crap out of you when it trys to downshift.basicly it feels like somebody throwing a piece of metal between the gears so it wont shift

Last edited by brian0268; 03-28-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 PM

Strange issue. Is there a dealer nearby where that incline is? You should take it into the dealer, and ride with them while they replicate the problem. Maybe a sticky solenoid? Has the transmission fluid been changed yet? When you say "the car stalls", does the engine cut off?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Join the club. Not the first to have this issues, nobody has got the solution. Last time I was on a long road trip I recorded the hard shifts on my crackberry. The dealer is going to send them to Hyundai. I suggest doing the same.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Santa-Accent
Join the club. Not the first to have this issues, nobody has got the solution. Last time I was on a long road trip I recorded the hard shifts on my crackberry. The dealer is going to send them to Hyundai. I suggest doing the same.
I bought the manual transmission, thank god!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 AM

I got my car booked in this afternoon for a new transmission. I really recommend you get the shifts on video and show them to the dealer. My dealer starting a "hytech" case into the system and two days later the transmission was being sent to the dealer. Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:22 AM
Adi
Default Same problem on this part of the world (Israel)

Driving an automatic 2008 Accent with the 1.4 engine.
I passed 155,000 miles with same problem since day one.
No solution for that, changing gear won't help neither.
Just need to learn to live with it...
After a long ride (more than 20 minutes) on constant speed (above 55 mph) slowing down and an accelerating again, your gear will sound like it falled from the car...
Try to accelerate smoothly.
We have in our company more than 100 Hyundai Accents and Kia Rio (similar car).
All of them suffer from the same problem.
I would really like to know if someone found a solution for it (except replacing for another car...)

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM

Well after hyundai put the new trans in the problem on the highway came back after two longer road trips. The second trip the front tires actually locked up for a split second on a down shift. I took the car back to the dealer and refuse to pick it up until the issue was resolved. After much research online I found in the US hyundai has been replacing the speed sensor on the accents. I took this information to the dealer but they refused to replaced the sensor because there was no fault code. But two days later another accent came in with all the same issues as mine but it had a fault code on the speed sensor. So finally after the car was ran in July 20 I was able to pick it up on Aug 26 with a new speed sensor. So far no issues on the highway, but the trans still hangs up in third gear in the city.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Did you get this problem fixed? My 2010 Accent has the same issue except it doesn't stall - luckily! When I go up an incline and the engine tries to shift
it 'shudders' but finds the gear and continues to run. Doesn't always happen and I thought it only happened with cruise control but also when manually driving. Usually it is not a major noise except for the other day I thought that the engine was going to come loose and fall out! If you got this fixed please let me know since I have an appt with the Hyundai dealer this week.
Thanks.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 AM
Adi
Default No problem fixed

I returned the car after I made 208,000 miles on it.
The problem persisted and never fixed.
You just need to learn to live with it (slow acceleration after a long cruise drive).
It happens only with the old models.
Now I have the new Hyundai Accent (Aut. 4 shifts) and no problem at all (new revised gear).
All the people I talk about this problem, encounter this problem sooner or later.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM

I worked in a body shop a few years ago and we had a Santa Fe with a hard "bucking" when it downshifted. I asked the owner about it and she said she knew about the problem. She said she had to have the computer reprogrammed again. Apparently, she had the problem in the past and it was fixed by re-flashing the computer.

Quick Reply: hyundai accent 2009 automatic transmission problem