Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Misses when accelerating after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Default Misses when accelerating after timing belt change

Hello, and help please. I have a 01 1.6l engine, in which I changed the timing belt. I do not have access to the Hyundai service site as I cannot log on with Vista, so I got all the instructions I could from the net and went at 'er. After a successful change, it ran great. Here is the problem. After it warms up, or on warmer days, the car does not accelerate worth (*$. Missing like crazy. Do I need to adjust the timing of the distributor somehow? Or is it possible that the belt is off a tooth somewhere? As I said earlier, I could get no info on how to adjust the gear position before removing the old belt, so I put the top pulley with the middle timing mark straight up with the lower pulley's mark pointing to the little nipple on the housing. The pulleys did not move out of positiong after i re-tensioned the belt, but I am now having problems. I know that I caused this, I just need to know which way, and which pulley to adjust one tooth to fix it.
Thanks

Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Default RE: Misses when accelerating after timing belt change

try lining up the crank pulley on tdc with the lower cover on, remove top half of cover and look at cam gear. there is a hole in the gear, when you look through that hole you should see a notch behind gear. see if they line up, if not then you know the timing is off,

Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Default RE: Misses when accelerating after timing belt change

How do I know when #1 is at TDC. BTW thanks to the person that sent me the schematics from the Hyundai Site. Much appreciated.
Tim