Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Default Tpms

So, when I test drove my 2009 Accent the low tire pressure warning light and TPMS light were on. I noted it with the salesman and he said he'd have the pressures checked. When I picked it up, the low tire pressure warning light was off, but the TPMS light was still on. The salesman and the person who brought it around both said they though it would reset itself in a miles. After I got home and read the owners manual I figured out it needed to be serviced. Took it in today and they replaced a right rear sensor. Gave it to me, and sent me on my way. Before I got home the light came back on. Anyone else have a similar problem with the TPMS system?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Go back. Something is still wrong with the system. Either another sensor or the system itself.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM

I finally got my car back from the body shop ( Had the car 7 days and hit a deer ) and received a notice that a part they needed to order for another minor problem was in at the dealer. I scheduled my appointment for that and the TPMS warning light on. I'm hearing that there are a lot of problems with TPMS in a lot of vehicles. Is this a common problem in the Accents?

Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM

TPMS problem is nothing new.. I would guess that they came up with right rear channel RF... but that does not mean the problem sensor is at the right rear,, it the sensor that was originally at right rear when the sensors was registered..

They should know what they is doing, as in order to get paid for claim, they have to document their work...

I get code, then go to current data and see if I have (4) ID's for transmitter. The I go read the sensors, and compare the ID's to what module has stored in memory to accept info from. Sometimes we find missing ID.. other times it might be a sensor inoperative.. read sensors, and program them back to TPMS module.

Do you have a phone cord or NAV cord plugged into the power outlket.. been determined supposedly that RF is emitted from cord and goofs the signal from the right rear (every TPMS we see is 98% right rear channel/RF).

Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 AM

I don't have either cord plugged in. The TPMS light was on when I bought the car. I read on another site where the technicians don't 'register' the new sensor and this causes a problem.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM

My TPMS light is on, too. Well, actually it's my daughter's. It's a 2011 GL with Air Conditioning. Someone hit her the first time she took it out and it's been in the body shop for a month. I'm sure the right, front sensor was replaced. After 10 or 20 miles the light came on. The girl at the dealership said it could be just that it's getting cold, but I really hate that explanation. I'll bring it through their "Quick Lane" service later today. In a couple days I'll have an Ultra-Gauge for it so maybe I can check the codes myself.
I got a couple more questions.
1. Do these have run flat tires?
2. Is the air conditioning light supposed to go on when the heat selector is set to windshield (defrost) and the fan is on? Hitting the switch won't turn it off. Turning the fan off or taking it off Windshield will turn it off.

Gary

Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gtx_slotcar
My TPMS light is on, too. Well, actually it's my daughter's. It's a 2011 GL with Air Conditioning. Someone hit her the first time she took it out and it's been in the body shop for a month. I'm sure the right, front sensor was replaced. After 10 or 20 miles the light came on. The girl at the dealership said it could be just that it's getting cold, but I really hate that explanation. I'll bring it through their "Quick Lane" service later today. In a couple days I'll have an Ultra-Gauge for it so maybe I can check the codes myself.
A scan guage won't read TPMS codes, just check engine codes. Also, is the light the one that says "TPMS" or the one that looks like this: "(!)"? A "TPMS" light means there is something wrong with the system. A "(!)" light just means one of the tires has low pressure.

Remember that air pressure will drop 1-psi for every 10-deg drop in temperature. So if the last time you check the air in the tires it was 60-deg and it's now 10-deg, the tires will have lost 5-psi. That takes you from 32-psi down to 27-psi. Enough to light the TPMS light. Check and fill all tires when they are cold and then you will need to drive the car a few miles to have the light go out.

I got a couple more questions.
1. Do these have run flat tires?
No

2. Is the air conditioning light supposed to go on when the heat selector is set to windshield (defrost) and the fan is on? Hitting the switch won't turn it off. Turning the fan off or taking it off Windshield will turn it off.
Yes, that's normal. The A/C dehumidifies the air so it doesn't fog up. You want the A/C on and the vent set to fresh (outside) air, not recirculated (inside) air. It will still be hot as long as the temp dial is turned to the hot side.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, it's the TPMS light indicating a problem with the system. Maybe when they installed the new sensor it was too close to another car to register (or calibrate) properly. At least if the tires aren't 'run flat' we can just look at them to see if they're low.

I left the body shop with cold tires and the TPMS light came on in my driveway, a few miles later and after the tires warmed up.
I'm a tire pressure nut. With our other cars we usually over inflate by about 3 or 4 pounds in the winter to help out with the gas mileage. We don't notice any difference in ride quality or tire wear and we get almost 3 mpg better performance. Even so, with my Explorer I get 18 mpg in the summer and only 14 in the winter, and I always pay attention to the pressure.

It's too bad about the AC thing. I never circulate air without cracking a window anyway, and have never needed AC to defrost before. Where I am (and especially along the route of my daughter's commute), during certain times of the year we get a lot of low and high pressure differences that'll fog the windshield and require mild defrost while driving. Now it looks like it'll ruin the gas mileage because the AC will have to be on. Unless this particular model really needs it, I think it's a terrible idea. Maybe it can be bypassed.

Gary

Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

The A/C is not a bad thing. You WANT it for defog/defrost. It amazes me that people still think having the A/C on with the windshield defog/defrost is a bad thing.

Modern A/C systems do not lower fuel economy as much as they used to. It's not a big deal. If you really don't want the A/C on you can always just select the Floor Only setting. The Floor Only setting doesn't use the A/c and a small amount of air is directed out the top of the dash. Check pages 1-111 and 1-112 of your owners manual.

Attached Thumbnails Tpms-2011-accent-1-111.jpg   Tpms-2011-accent-1-112.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM

I don't know anyone who thinks AC on the windshield is a bad thing, but I'm sure some people do. I've used it myself a few times in the past. I just think it's rarely needed and I can do it myself on those few occasions that it is. Really, I've gotten along without it for over 45 years of driving and never wished it was done automatically for me, and in all that time nobody has ever said to me that they wished it was done automatically for them. It may have been on your "wish list" for years, but not on mine. I'd like to have the choice. It's too bad to lose 3 to 3.5 mpg when you don't need to. It's just my opinion.
I believe you can learn a lot about your car by reading the manual. I haven't checked the heater controls in the manual for this car because I've only driven it a couple times and didn't notice it until this morning. The car is quite new, and my daughter drives it. I have it today so I could take it to the dealer to get the TPMS light fixed (which is done now). The manual isn't in the car so I couldn't look it up. It's sitting on the kitchen island, so I guess she's been reading it. That's why I asked here.
Thanks for the pictures.

Gary

Last edited by gtx_slotcar; 01-25-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Tpms