Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Accent (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/)
-   -   Question about Oil (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-accent-16/question-about-oil-5962/)

quebec128 03-13-2009 11:34 PM

Question about Oil

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is using Synthetic oil on there 1999 Accent ? Any recomendations ?

Thanks

Bitmugger 03-14-2009 09:42 PM

I use synthetic Amsoil oil (plus their filters) in my 2003 Elantra and 2007 Elantra and give it a thumbs up recommendation.

Nothing scientific but from what I read it's good oil and saves money if you believe in it and are willing to go for long durations between changes.

jsinton 03-15-2009 12:53 AM

There shouldn't be any problem with sythetic.

The only thing is if your engine your too gunky on the inside, I wouldn't do it because the gunk can break loose from the synthetic formula and ruin your motor.

Bitmugger 03-15-2009 08:05 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the gunk coming free and ruining anything but knowing that it was going to scrub the engine clean what I did is put some cheap synthetic oil in for the first oil change, run it the regular 3 months and then changed to Amsoil. That first oil change did the clean out then I could do the long haul oil changes on the more expensive Amsoil.

You are driving a 10 year old car, what's the reason for the switch to synthetic? Economy (long driving between changes) or just trying to take care of the car?

If it's economy then great make the switch, increase your drive time between changes to the maximum the oil manufacturer recommends and reap the rewards. If it's just a case of trying to take care of the car, then I'm thinking if the car's been through 10 years of dino oil it's best years are behind it, switching to synthetic now is like quitting smoking at age 75; a fine idea but not going to add years to your life.

quebec128 03-16-2009 07:29 AM

I got the car from my grandmotehr who had it from new. SHe barely drove and kept it perfect shape. So I figure I should do I what I can to keep it that way. I was thinking of using Mobil 1 or Castrol ?

quebec128 03-16-2009 07:30 AM

If you can imagine that the car is 10 years old but only has 76k on it.

zero_gravity 03-16-2009 08:23 AM

putting synthetic in that car won't hurt it, not nearly enough mileage on it;)

the mobil 1 is probably the better bet but for what its worth i use castrol syntec in my accent. going for the 10,000km oil change :)

quebec128 03-27-2009 07:32 PM

Cool... I'll probably go with Mobil 1.... but I am also looking into the Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil.

zero_gravity 03-30-2009 08:01 AM

the mobil 1 synthetic is known to be one of the better ones out there. i'd just go with that due to the cost savings over royal purple and amsoil. also you can pick up mobil 1 at canadian tire when its on sale:)

aaron78 04-02-2009 11:32 PM

Ya synthetic oil is fine. Just change the oil every 10,000km interval