Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Should I buy Hyundai Accent

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Default Should I buy Hyundai Accent

Hi all, I need to buy a car to commute to work and I like the look of the accent, but mostly I like the price. My only concern is that a couple of friends have warned me about the reliability of the Hyundai in general. Presumably most on this forum own a Hyundai Accent. What would be your recomendation?

Thanks

.Cesar

Old 06-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Banned

the reliability image is something hyundai has been trying to shake for years now. in the past, yes they had some major issues. we're talking 15 years ago now....

before '95 their cars sucked, period.

between 95-1999 the accent was better but had some issues with the auto transmissions.

2001 and on the accent started to become a good solid car and has only gotten better over the years.

they're cheaper than others, but they're trying to change their image. lowering the price is a good way to make a few sales and do just that. i've got a 5spd 2004 accent and i've been quite happy with it. got it off the 1st owner almost 2 years ago with about 80-85,000 kms on it and so far all i've had to do to it is spark plugs, 1 oxygen sensor (those wear out on any car), and two odd issues - clutch bearing (cost me $40 for the bearing, i do all my own work) and i had to replace the flex pipe on the exhaust. for some reason it rusted through at one of the welds....the rest of the exhaust is in excellent shape.

with any car you're going to have some issue here and there. i've put nearly 60,000kms on it since i've gotten it and i really can't complain - its all silly trivial stuff.

one word of advice - test drive it first, especially if you want an auto. personally i find the auto trans very slow, much better with the 5spd. you might be ok with it but i couldn't put up with the auto myself.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the feed back. Im actually considering the 2010 accent hatchback 5 speed. It looks good and the price is right. I guess what I'm looking for is some confidence building before I take the plunge. Take for example a toyota corolla, those cars are known to be reliable. I just don't like the look of it or the price. I would apreciate some more feed back, I need more encoragement to take the plunge.

.Cesar

Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

I agree. Anything after 2000 is going to be reliable if it was maintained properly. And any new Hyundai will be as reliable as the maintenance the owner gives it.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Base an the responces and some research I do done on the accent, I think I might just go ahead and purchase this veicle. In anyone has anything else to add, please do so.

.Cesar

Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

a 2010 accent is about as reliable as it gets, great car! the engine has variable valve timing which also helps a bit with power output. if they handle anything like my 2004 you will be happy with it. and yes cheaper than a toyota and the new ones probably have a bit better reliability even.

my 2004 is a solid reliable car, but it does have its quirks...still trying to chase a few ghosts out of it. a 2010 should have those extremely minor problems taken care of. mostly its just little quirks that do not affect driveability in any way.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Its good to hear some positive feed back. I know that in the scheme of things $10000 is not lots of money, but still I want to make the best purchase possible. One of the complaints I heard about the accent is that its a bumpy ride. Does anyone have any opinion about that point?

.Cesar

Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned

in the grand scheme of things, $10,000 IS a lot of money to me! i would do exactly what you are - research any way you can and make an informed and intelligent decision on your next car! in fact thats exactly what i did before i bought my accent. figure out what you want and what 'sacrifices' you're willing to make (ie. smaller car, no cruise control, etc.) and decide on what you want to buy from there.

as far as bumpy ride well i'd have to say that yes its a bit of a rougher ride than most cars but thats a bit of a two edged sword. the accent has a stiffer suspension than most cars which can give you a little bit of a bumpier ride. on the upside stiffer suspension means MUCH better handling. and i have to say its not terribly bad, just a little bit less smooth than other cars.

on the other hand a friend of mine has a new nissan versa, i've driven it a few times and absolutely hate how it handles. the suspension i find overly soft. sure you get that smooth ride, but it does not grab the road/corners anywhere near like my accent does and i get very little 'road feedback' through the steering wheel. i like to feel the road a bit more so that i can better predict the conditions and how i should be driving - living in canada thats an important thing.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 AM

I agreed $10000 is alot of money. I was just being prudent since there are lots of people out there that can afort more. One of the last concerns I have about the accent is the gas consumption. I have read mix on the accent's MPG. Some attribute it to a defect on the cruise control.

.Cesar

Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned

i don't know anything about a defect with the cruise control, but if you sign up (free) on www.hmaservice.com you can check the TSB's for anything like that (technical service bullitens). also that site has ALL the tech info that the dealer mechanics use. very useful, and i know of no other car manufacturer that freely gives repair info.

now to be fair here, the accent is not a top notch car for fuel consumption - but its damn close. the biggest strength of the accent is that you get a better value for what you pay than anything else right now. doesn't mean its top notch, but it is for the price.

now a new one will be different from mine, i drive an '04 GSI (2 dr. hatchback), 1.6L with a manual transmission. i have tracked my gas mileage and i find an average of over 35 MPG. i have even had up to 40 MPG with it.

that being said, the variable valve timing will eat a bit more gas once it kicks in (should you rev it higher), the auto trans eats a bit more, and i often coast in neutral with my 5spd. there are other factors, so i can't say for sure what you will get i can only offer my experience.

Quick Reply: Should I buy Hyundai Accent