Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2010 Accent overheated. No start

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 09:03 PM
Default 2010 Accent overheated. No start

2010 Accent overheated. Some how a alternator tensioner bolt came loose And the belt broke. The car overheated. Now it turns over but will not start. Any things we can check or look for? Thanks

Also, changed timing belt and water pump a month ago

Old 06-02-2020, 11:23 PM

Depending upon how badly the engine over heated, the head gasket could have busted??
Or when the belt snapped, the timing belt jumped a tooth or two??

Go back to basics
Check for spark, fuel pump, injector pulse, compression, timing, air, exhaust, etc

Old 06-03-2020, 06:24 AM

Two things you need to do first.
A compression test and a cooling system pressure test
Here is why, Your vehicle has an interference engine and if the belt breaks and the engine is turning over, "It will bend some valves preventing good compression.".
Also, if the overheating was severe enough ,as avisitor stated, and the head gasket is now a problem, a cooling system pressure test should show with the loss of pressure

From the sound of things, you will need a rebuilt head assy, head gasket set, belt, coolant, thermostat.. and probably a water pump. There are no shortcuts, and what you don't replace now will fail shortly up the road. Engine heads will develop a warped condition after overheating and should be replaced.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:37 AM

Will every cyl loose compression? All you need is 2 cyl to run a 4 banger. I’d think it will make new sounds if I hit a valve. He’s about 150 miles away. No cel codes while he cranks. I asked him to see what his scanner shows for sensors while he cranks it over. My hope is that the alt belt broke and tangled with crank sensor cable. I’m an eternal optimist. Does The tach bounce on these cars when you crank? I’m not sure why timing belt might jump dues to over heat Thanks for your thoughts

Old 06-03-2020, 07:50 PM

Don't know what tools are available where he is,
Can you tell him how to check for spark? If he has spark, crank sensor is working.

Trying to run it on 2 cyl for 150 miles, you might as well order another engine now.

Also It might be cheaper to have it repaired where it is as compared to trying to drive it and wiping out the engine all together.
Scan tool is not too useful in this case, just need to do basic checks and even then how much can he handle ?

Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 PM

Going on a rescue. To Colman Alabama. Drop of a car . Maybe I’ll figure it out. Hope it’s not dead

Old 06-04-2020, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the update, let us know what you find.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM

My Son says the last thing the Accent did when he pulled over was that a huge white cloud came out of exhaust. I think that confirms the worst. Are Shade tree head gasket repairs very successful on these little engines? I’ve done 3 on other cars.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:04 PM

The white smoke is a sign coolant got into the combustion chamber(s).
Don't know if oil was contaminated.
Driving it in it's present condition,If it will even start, could be wishful thinking.
Might be a good idea to wait and see what you have before fearing the worst.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:04 AM

We dragged the Accent 150 miles with 16 year old Toyota Sienna. I pulled the pugs they are smothered in oil. So far I don’t see any oil and water mix. Strange to have oil in the spark plug tubes.

Coilpack and plugs are all oilly

Quick Reply: 2010 Accent overheated. No start