Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Trouble after Alternator died

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:02 AM
Default Trouble after Alternator died

Was driving home and then head lights got really bright, temp gauge went to center mark and air bag light came on. There was a loud grinding sound from engine, later learned that it was the Alternator that finally gave out. Replaced it. Head lights normal, but now temp guage still heats up to the center and airbag light is still on. The fans still run, they come on when heater is turned on..and when air cond is turned on. Heard it come on after awhile but heat gauge does not move. I replaced the temp sensor on the thermostate housing thinking that burnt out, but still the same.

Hyundai service department say it could be the coolant pipe leaking and that could be the reason, they replaced..still the same..they just strugged their shoulders. Computer scan shows nothing, just the Catalytic converter, which I've trouble with since the begining. Check all fuses but one, but I know the fans still come on but the temp needle doesnt move like before when they come on. I have no other car and have to drive it, hope the engine really isnt running hot. This all happened after the Alternator died.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by nmguy
Head lights normal, but now temp guage still heats up to the center
Thats fine

and airbag light is still on.
Was it on prior to alternator failure ? Dealer scan SRSCM,, what were the code(s) recovered from SRSCM ??

The fans still run, they come on when heater is turned on..and when air cond is turned on. Heard it come on after awhile but heat gauge does not move. I replaced the temp sensor on the thermostate housing thinking that burnt out, but still the same.
Normally you will not see gauge move with fan operation.. not sensitive enough

Hyundai service department say it could be the coolant pipe leaking and that could be the reason, they replaced..still the same..they just strugged their shoulders.
Poor tactics, they got your money and dont know why ?

Computer scan shows nothing,
And a glance at current data stream screen will show engine coolant temp sensor value to PCM,,, sit there and watch it as car sits and idles and fans cycle.. the temp sensor is more sensitive than the sender for the gauge, so you'll temp movement with fans run on data stream..

just the Catalytic converter, which I've trouble with since the begining.
Must have had a misfire concern that got put off and finally took toll on the catalyst ?

I have no other car and have to drive it, hope the engine really isnt running hot.
Look at data stream for what the PCM is seeing from the engine coolant temp sensor..
Mid gauge wont bother me.. only when it start climbing close to red.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:31 AM

The car was running pretty well, no airbag lights, headlights fine, engine fine. But then the night I was driving home and the head lights got really bright, then loud sound from engine, airbag light came on, engine was rough and temp moved to center mark. After getting home and turned off the car, the Idle Speed Actuator kept buzzing for about five minutes and died off. Next morning started it up and still loud sound from engine and Idle speed Actuator buzzed and engine was running rough.

Checked the Alternator, made a sound when spun, took in and had checked, failed, dead. Replaced. After the head lights returned to normal brightness, loud sound was gone, engine wasnt riding rough. But the airbag light turned back on, and temp gauge moved to the center.

The cat failed before from missfire and dead cylinder(And of something that might have happened before, with former owner which I learn when I found a hidden treasure, repair recepts.) cost of repair $2000

When I ask questions at the local Hyundai company, they just look at each other. I swear I can see the "???" popping up over their heads. When they worked on the coolant pipe it was messy, coolant was all over the engine when I got it back. And returned 30 minutes later when the pipe was leaking allover. That was last week.

They said the reason for the temp gauge could be of presure leak from the leaking coolant pipe, but even with that fixed, still the same.

But before when the fan did come on, the needle did move down.