Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

What Antifreeze for 2012 Accent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Default What Antifreeze for 2012 Accent?

My new 2012 Accent has 13,000 miles now. It also needs the engine coolant reservoir topped off.
What kind of antifreeze does it take?
Anyone know the spec?
The owner's manual does not specify. I don't really trust the parts guy at the dealer for advice.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM

There's another document that should be there along with your manual and will list the proper anti-freeze. IIRC it should be the regular green stuff - don't bother with the universal prestone stuff.

I think the document is the maintenance pamphlet.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM

The problem is that there is a myriad of antifreezes available. Several shades of yellow. "Gold." Orange. Several shades of green. BMW even has a blue antifreeze.
Then you have the "all makes all models" that isn't really 100% compatible with anything.
Its not as simple as it was in the old days. Back then there was basically only one type.
By mixing different types of antifreeze, you can cause all sorts of problems.

I'm trying to find a alpha-numeric spec for this 2012 Accent, because I don 't want to do anything to harm it or void the warranty. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Anyone else have a lead on a tech manual or something?

I wouldn't be getting so worked up about it, but the "Gamma" engine in these new Accents is far and removed from previous Hyundai engines and I'm worried it takes a special antifreeze.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2012accent
What kind of antifreeze does it take?
Anyone know the spec?
The owner's manual does not specify.
Actually, it kinda does:

Originally Posted by 2012accent
The problem is that there is a myriad of antifreezes available. Several shades of yellow. "Gold." Orange. Several shades of green. BMW even has a blue antifreeze.
Then you have the "all makes all models" that isn't really 100% compatible with anything.

I'm trying to find a alpha-numeric spec for this 2012 Accent, because I don 't want to do anything to harm it or void the warranty.

I wouldn't be getting so worked up about it, but the "Gamma" engine in these new Accents is far and removed from previous Hyundai engines and I'm worried it takes a special antifreeze.
If you are that worried, take a drive over to a Hyundai dealer and buy a gallon of OEM antifreeze. Or just add a little deionized (aka distilled) water.

Attached Thumbnails What Antifreeze for 2012 Accent?-2012-accent-8-4.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Yep. Your car should have come with a Maintence Log pamphlet and in it gives the spec of what types of fluids the car requires.

I have a jug of valucraft autozone antifreeze 50/50 and it has just ethylene glycol.

Ford and GM is notorious for requiring their own special antifreeze that most autozone/discount autoparts don't carry.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the link. I saw the "ethylene glycol" recommendation and that is what had me worried. Ethylene glycol is what my dad called antifreeze back in the 1970's. It seems there would be a spec something like Ford uses, i.e. M-4763-R29A. That way you could know for sure.
I guess if I go to the dealer and buy a bottle of Hyundai antifreeze labeled "ethylene glycol" then I would be alright?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 PM

I guess as long as it says that is what is in the bottle and nothing else except water, then you are fine.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 AM

All std coolant is Ethylene Glycol... Green is std color.. "PRESTONE" just colors theirs a more hot neon green - yellow color.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 PM

About the only thing I can find in parts stores is "All makes all models" or Dexcool.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

If you are that worried, take a drive over to a Hyundai dealer and buy a gallon of OEM antifreeze. Or just add a little deionized (aka distilled) water.

Quick Reply: What Antifreeze for 2012 Accent?