Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Similarities/dissimilarities between US and Canadian Accent.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Default Similarities/dissimilarities between US and Canadian Accent.

Hullo everyone!

I will be moving to the United States soon, and as such, I am faced with going through the whole process of importing my car. It's a fairly old one, a 1997 Accent of the Canadian kind.

The problem is, Hyundai Auto Canada won't issue a letter of compliance with all applicable FMVSS at the time, as they say they do not know the specifications of the U.S. model Hyundai Accent at time of manufacture.

I've contacted Hyundai Motor America too, and they've just told me they can't help me, contact Hyundai Auto Canada, and I contacted them on specifications for that year.

It is a little frustrating, as without a letter of compliance, I must furnish a bond to customs, and pay for a registered importer to import it and "fix" it up to FMVSS, even if it already was manufactured at the time to comply with all applicable FMVSS and CMVSS.

So basically, my question is, where may I be able to find specifications on the Canadian and American 1995-1999 1st generation Hyundai Accents?

Also, would anyone know how similar or dissimilar they are, and in what ways?

Has anyone else ran into similar problems as I?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you all so much for your time in reading this!