Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

white smoke coming from exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Unhappy white smoke coming from exhaust..

hey..can anyone tell me reasons for white smoke coming fom exhaust.. it comes out sometimes in large amounts for about 5 to ten minutes,and other times just for a few seconds.. its a 02.. do i need a new engine..?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Is this when it's cold out or when you first start the engine? It's probably just steam and normal when you first start the car. The only other thing it could be is coolant so check the radiator and overflow tank. If both are to the proper levels, then you are fine.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 PM

it happens all weathers really, maybe even a bit more in the heat..leaves clouds of smoke behind.. happens sometimes wen i start the car, but other times wen im stuck in traffic, or driving slowly..coolant seems ok..not sure on the over flow tank and the whereabouts..
Thanks for reply..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

so how do you know the 'coolant is ok' if you're 'not sure on the over flow tank and the whereabouts'? that makes no sense. my brain just exploded.

please check your owner's manual. anytime you see white smoke and suspect a problem out of the ordinary the coolant should be monitored daily to see if its dropping. burning coolant is usually indication of a blown head gasket or worse a cracked block.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:12 AM

no the coolant hasnt budged..stll at the same level since i can remember.oh im sorry that ur brain has exploded..havnt a clue about the different parts of cars.. mechanic has ripped me off before so i was just wondering if the job was simpler then puttin a new engine in..he supposedly reconditioned the engine last month..

Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

ok good, just wanted to make sure that you're not losing coolant. in that case it is very likely just condensation collecting in the engine and exhaust over night, very normal and not harmful at all.

forums are here for you to learn and (hopefully) not get ripped off. you might not get all the info on a silver platter, but a few here (myself included) are happy to help out someone that just does not have the knowledge.

as far as 'reconditioned' the engine, i'm curious to know exactly what he did and what he charged you. thats not exactly normal as a maintenace job...not sure what you mean there.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 AM

well he's explained now that engine was not actually reconditioned, it was just the starter motor that was reconditioned and refitted.he said after work was done that there would be no problemm for another few years anyway..
jobs that wer done were:
-Oil filter, engine oil and air filter
-plugs cleaned and gaped
-belts checked and adjusted
-rocker removed and sealed
-gearbox checked
-all brakes checked, adjusted
-lights leveled and checked

he charged 400, but is lookin for another 700 telling me that i need a new(second hand) engine, and that i might aswell get a new clutch in now aswell as the one i have may only last 6 months or more..

Thanks for ur help..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

that clown is ripping you off hardcore. find a new mechanic asap!

-Oil filter, engine oil and air filter
you can get this done for a little over $30

-plugs cleaned and gaped
this takes 10 minutes, pile of horse****

so he put his finger on the belt to check tension...nice

-rocker removed and sealed
totally unnecessary unless it was leaking oil

only 'adjustment' for belts needed is to ensure they are tight. probably didn't need new belts anyhow, thats a classic scam.

-gearbox checked
meaning what?? he drove it up the road?? thats all checking the transmission is!

-all brakes checked, adjusted
front brakes do not require adjustment. rear drums consists of turning a screw with a flathead, takes less than 5 minutes.

-lights leveled and checked
so he checked that they were on. light 'leveling' or aiming adjustment is only done when needed. again, he's scamming you

$400 for that...wow if i was ripping people off like that i wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

now its $700 for a new engine. and why do you need one? your car is a 2002 and these engines are quite tough. i call bull****.

PLEASE get a new mechanic. people like this don't deserve to be in business.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:13 AM

ha ha ha.. i will deffo get new mechanic.. he just took the car the other day to put a new plug in it, the car use to chuck wen in a lower gear,he was meant to do this when workin on the engine last time, i then explained that there was still smoke coming from it so he took it for a spin and he was like " yeah im afraid ur gonna need a new engine, wear and tear in the engine is causing the smoke "..he didnt think to tell me this after gettin 400 euros , not sure if ders dat much of a difference with dollars anyway.. lucky i came on this site or id be really ripped off, thanks zero_gravity..

Old 07-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

so...smoke damaged the engine....u should ask him how the exhaust valves survive.

Quick Reply: white smoke coming from exhaust..